Chapter Twenty-Five: Surfing Struggles

Will ended up driving me home afterward. I had to clear up some frantic texts from Anna, who had freaked out after I had gone missing for several hours. I had told her that I had ran into an old friend, and then ended up catching a ride back to the house. Luckily, after my explanation, Anna didn't seem too upset.

When I got back to the Mason's Mansion, it felt like everything looked different. Will's story had changed my perspective on a lot of things that I thought I knew about. When I saw John, I had to bite my tongue from spilling out all of the things that Will had told me. It was hard to think that I was the only one other than Will that knew the complete truth of the night that Tabitha was raped. Even the police didn't know the truth. I wonder, if Will and John could even
become friends again if Will told John the truth. Would John sympathize and forgive will? Or would they become greater enemies?

I was currently laying across my bed. I had showered and changed out of my clothes since I returned. The touch of those disgusting men still lingered, even after I had scrubbed myself till my skin turned red. I briefly pondered going into the police station and filing an assault report. But that wouldn't work out well because I could get Will in trouble if I did. I didn't want to cause him anymore stress.

I had to get ready for dinner soon. The day had passed so rapidly between shopping and the warehouse. It was nearly six o'clock, the time that I would have to go to the Dining Hall to eat with Mrs. Mason, Anna, Hannah, and John. Minutes later, Ms. Jameson popped her head into my room to remind me that dinner was in ten minutes. It was only then that I moved my butt to the closet and lazily picked out a pale pink dress that cut off at the knee. I left my half-dried hair hang limply down my back and slipped on some silver flats before heading down the stairs to dinner.

Everyone was already at the table when I arrived, despite having minutes to spare until the food was served. I quickly took my seat and looked around the table. John had lightened up some since the morning, where he had stormed off to the beach. Hannah was looking a lot better than she did last night. She even smiled at me, which shocked me. She didn't even glare!

"Hey, Kendall.", Hannah said lightly, smiling. Holy crap. She's even talking to me!?

"Hi, Hannah.", I replied, still in awe that she was being kind to me.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one who was shocked by Hannah's sudden kindness. Anna was looking between Hannah and I with her mouth hanging open in surprise. John just carried a perplexed expression on his chiseled face, his eyes widened.

Hannah just laughed at them. "Why are you guys looking at me like that?", She said, the tracing of a smile indented on her flawless expression.

"Uh... No reason.", Anna and John said simultaneously, turning back to their plates.

Without another word, we all began to eat. Mr. Mason's absence was filled with small talk between Mrs. Mason and the rest of us. Mrs. Mason spent the majority of the time talking about how big of a hit the Campaign Ball was, and how the Garden Club absolutely adored the food and décor.

Once dinner was done, I got up to leave the Dining Hall, when I was stopped by Hannah. "Kendall. Can I talk to you?", Hannah spoke up, walking toward me with a timid smile.

"Um, yeah. Sure.", I said nervously, facing Hannah.

"It's about last night. I just don't want you to worry. It was just a spur of the moment thing. I never do it, I swear.", Hannah said, a timid smile appearing on her face.

I gave her a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, Hannah. I promised, didn't I?"

She nodded slowly. "Yes. You did."