Chapter Twenty-Eight: Sophie Farnsworth

Without a second thought, I answered the phone, pressing it to my ear.

"Will? Are you there? Are you okay?", I desperately asked into the receiver, hoping for an answer.

I was met with silence. "Will? Are you there?", I repeated again, feeling terrified. Why wasn't he saying anything?

"Are you Kendall Hanks?", a young girl's voice asked cautiously. I pulled back from the phone, confused. Why wasn't it Will speaking?

"Yes. Who is this?", I replied cautiously, adrenaline pumping through my veins. Will had to be okay. He knew better than to return to the warehouse. He wasn't that stupid. I hope.

"My name is Sophie.", The girl replied. "I need your help."

Oh my god. No. Why was Will not answering! "What? Where's Will?", I asked, my voice raising.

The girl sighed. "Trust me, if I knew, I wouldn't be calling you."

I shut my eyes. I needed to get a grip on myself. "Who are you again?", I asked her, my voice sounding calmer than my emotions.

"Sophie. Will's sister.", She replied.

Sophie! Maybe she knew where he went. "Did he come home at all last week?", I asked Sophie urgently, sitting down on my bed, clutching the phone so tightly that I was worried it would break.

"He left Sunday night. I haven't seen him since. He told me, if things got too bad that I should call you.", She said. I felt my face pale. He was missing. And Will had told her to call me? Me of all people?

"Oh, god.", I muttered. "What else did he say?"

"Just that you could help me.", Sophie replied.

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to think of a way that I could help her. "How bad is your dad?", I asked her, hoping for the best.

She paused, not sure if she could trust me. "It's pretty bad. He left to go to the liquor store. And when he comes back it'll get worse."

"Okay. I'll come get you.", I decided without thinking. "What's your address?", I asked, walking out the door of my bedroom and running down the stairs. I had to get her out of there. It would be what Will would have wanted, right? Maybe then she could help me find out where Will had gone.

Sophie told me their address, and I repeated it in my mind so I wouldn't forget it. I quickly promised her that I would hurry, then I hung up. Dinner with the Masons would have to wait. I would be late, but this was more important. Sophie was in danger, and I had to get her out of that house before Mr. Farnsworth returned. I ran to the car garage and hopped into the nearest vehicle, driving onto the streets within seconds. I arrived at the Farnsworth's house within five minutes.

As my car pulled up to the house, I couldn't help but admire their house. It wasn't a mansion like the Mason's house, but it was good-sized. It was a white two-story house with a nice, green garden in the front. A glass pendant hung above the white front door, and two marble pillars lined the doorway, giving it an elegant feel.

Before I could continue to admire the house, the front door opened, and a tiny blonde girl came sprinting out of the house, a backpack on her shoulders. I unlocked the door, and the girl opened it, sliding into the passengers seat.

"We gotta' go! He should be here any second.", the young girl, who I assumed to be Sophie, told me instantly, fear visible in her eyes. I instantly began driving away, watching Sophie from the corner of my eye as she pulled on her seat belt and placed the backpack by her feet.

She was breathing heavily, looking around the streets with a worried expression on her face.

"Hey. It's going to be alright. You're out of there.", I assured her, as we drove onto the main road.