Chapter Thirty-Three: The Calm Before the Storm

School is boring.

That was all I could think as I sat in Mr. Goldberg's AP English class on Monday morning. Whatever monotone, unimportant information that was pouring from his mouth made me want to die. Actually, die.

In fact, his class was so boring that I had resorted to imagining my classmates as animals. I had decided that Mr. Goldberg was a sloth of some type... or maybe an orangutan. He had the face of one...

Yeah, his class was that boring.

The only thing that was remotely intriguing about English class, was Will's empty seat. It was the third Monday that he had missed, and although I was still angry and upset with him, I felt worried about his absence.

Honestly, I had been anxious to go to school today. Today would be the first time seeing Will after the fight, and I was worried. Too worried. His absence was reliving and unsettling at the same time. I wanted him and hated him all at once. Just the thought of him confused me.

Maybe Will skipped. I wouldn't be surprised. I wanted to skip, but I knew I couldn't. I had a French test.

What would I do if I saw Will, anyway? If he was sitting in that desk a mere three feet away? What would I say to him?

In all honesty, I couldn't even begin to think about it. What he had said still hurt, and I was hoping that Will would just apologize so that things could be normal.

If he was sorry at all... He sounded like he meant every word.

...I don't want you at all... never should've told you anything... so fucking fake... a bitch... don't give a shit about anyone but yourself... I wish I never met you... it would be better for everyone if you died like you should've in that fucking car accident with your parents... never want to speak to you again...

When I first knew him, he was so funny. So exciting. He made me feel so alive. I had the time of my life when I was with him. At least until he said those things to me.

Don't think about him, Kendall. He's no good. He never cared.

I pushed out my upsetting thoughts, and tried to focus on whatever nonsense that was pouring out of Mr. Goldberg's mouth. After about three seconds of paying attention to him, I found myself extremely bored. Again.

Mr. Goldberg should have pursued a different career. Such as an accountant. Or an executioner.

He truly had the natural attitude of both.

Just as I began to doodle in my notebook, the ringing of the bell sounded, marking the end of the class. Everyone sprang out of their seats instantly, rushing to be the first out the door. I wasn't ashamed to admit that I was one of them. I just wanted to get out of that prison. Ugh, I hate English class.

I bustled into the hall, escaping into the nearest bathroom.

Once I made it into the bathroom, I immediately noticed the familiar gossips hanging around the mirrors, dealing out the daily dose of rumors. One of them was applying a new layer of lipstick, while the other was blabbing about something.

"You'll never believe what I happened in first period!", One of them squealed, taking my attention. I secretly watched them, eavesdropping on their conversation while pretending to busy myself with my phone.

"Will Farnsworth showed up in my English class!", She said, surprising me and all the other gossips.

My eyes widened and I struggled to remain unnoticeable. What! Why would he do that? He has English with Mr. Goldberg!