Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Final Return

"Wait a minute. You want to go back to Curmouth?", A confused Jazzy asked as Jack and I tried to persuade her into letting me leave.

"Yes.", Jack and I said in unison.

"For a singing thing?"

"It's tomorrow, at the school auditorium. Can we go?", I asked nervously.

She smiled slightly. "That sounds okay by me, kid. But how do you plan on getting there?"

"The Greyhound bus.", I said timidly.

She sighed and shook her head. "That's not safe. I don't want to be too terrible of a guardian. If your mom were here then she wouldn't be too happy with me."

"It'll be okay, Ms. Greenwald. I'll be with her the whole time.", Jack reminded her.

She nodded slowly and bit her lip, as if she had mixed feelings. Then she got up from her chair and grabbed something out of her purse. She returned to us with a bottle of pepper spray in hand.

"I'll let you go on two conditions. One, you carry this pepper spray with you. And two, call me when you get there.", She said with a grimace.

Jack broke out in a grin, while I smiled a little bit. I still wasn't sure about this whole thing, but I had to try.

"I promise. I'll be okay Jazzy.", I told her, giving her a hug.

She smiled sadly. "Okay. I know, I know. Just be safe."

"We will.", Jack and I promised.

Jack and I headed out the front door instantly, before Jazzy could change her mind. A small backpack was slung across my shoulders. I had packed my song journal, phone, snacks, a little bit of money, and now with the newest edition of Jazzy's pepper spray.

As we left the apartment building, Jack holding his guitar and me carrying a backpack, I couldn't help but think how strange this was. I was notorious for running away from my problems, and now, I was chasing after them. I was going back to Curmouth, where everything had fallen apart.

I could feel the remaining tension between Jack and I. Even though he had come back for me, and I had agreed to his terms, the effects of our fight were obvious. He had called me selfish and absurd when I needed his support. He had Tabitha to protect, and I understood that, but I was there too. I had reached out to him, but he had pulled away.

But now, he was acting as if nothing happened. It was like an unspoken, awkward force separating us. But something had happened, and it needed to be addressed. It was really bothering me.

"Jack.", I spoke up once we reached the bus stop.

"Yep?", He replied with ease.

"I-I think we need to talk about the fight."

His mood dulled a little bit but he nodded in agreement.

"Listen, Ken. I'm sorry. I really am. I was just so worried about Tabitha that I didn't notice that you needed me.", He admitted sheepishly.

"I'm sorry too. I should have been more understanding.", I said, giving him a small smile.

"Are we good now?", He asked hopefully.

I nodded. "We're perfect."

A bus heading toward Los Angeles arrived within minutes and Jack and I boarded it. Thankfully, it was mostly empty except for a few people sitting in the front. Jack and I claimed two seats in the back and set our things down on the seats just as the bus pulled away from the sidewalk.

"I've been practicing the strings for the Showcase. I have it down. Do you want to go over it?", He asked me, pulling his guitar onto his lap.

"But won't they mind?", I asked, motioning to the other passengers on the bus.