Chapter Forty: New Beginnings

"It's not what it looks like!", I told Tabitha immediately, practically jumping out of Jack's bed.

She grinned at the both of us. "Sure it wasn't."

Jack's cheeks were equally as flushed as mine. "Stop it Tabitha."

She laughed once more before she walked out of the room and down the hall, leaving us alone.

Jack looked at me apologetically. "I'm sorry about her."

I chuckled, "It's fine. Um, what time is it?"

He checked his phone. "4:42, but we're supposed to be there by 5:30."

"Crap.", I mumbled, feeling panic rise in my chest.

"What is it?", Jack asked, his blue eyes filled with concern.

"We have less than an hour to get ready and be at the auditorium, and I don't have anything to wear.", I said frantically.

"Hey, it'll be okay.", Jack soothingly assured me. "I'm sure you can borrow something from Tabitha."

I nodded trying to focus on breathing. "Okay. I can do this. It'll work out."

He placed a kiss on my forehead. "It'll work out, Kendall."

And I truly believed him.

<<<>>><<<>>><<<>>>

There was exactly eleven minutes and thirty-two seconds until Jack and I took the stage, and I was freaking out on the inside. No one had bothered to tell me just how big of a deal the Annual Fall Showcase was.

The auditorium was packed to the brim, and the chattering of the audience seemed so overpowering, even from backstage. And when I had peeked out from behind the stage curtain, I was amazed and terrified.

It seemed as if the entire town and then some were outside in the audience. As I scanned the seats, I saw Will sitting toward the back with his parents and Sophie. He looked bored, tired, and annoyed, crossing his arms and staring down at his phone. My eyes looked over at Mr. Farnsworth, and I felt sick to my stomach. He would be in the audience tonight.

I forced myself to look away from the Farnsworth's. Then I saw the Masons sitting right in the front row, the closest possible to the stage. They still didn't know about my return, and I couldn't help but wonder what they would think when they saw me take the stage. Surprised, no doubt. John would probably be happy. Mr. Mason, probably not so much.

Sitting cross-legged with clipboards in hand, right next to the Masons, sat two Julliard scouts. I could pinpoint them easily with their fancy clothes and business aura. They had scanned the stage with purpose, and before even performing, I could tell that our performance had to be amazing if they would even consider us for a scholarship. They just had that look to them.

"Kendall, sit down.", Jack said gently, pulling me away from the curtain.

I looked up at him with worry. "Jack, how are we supposed to do this. The Julliard scouts are sitting right there. Front row. They have clipboards, Jack. Clipboards!", I said nervously.

He gave me a small smile and enveloped me in a comforting hug. "You are amazing, Kendall. Your song is amazing. And our performance will be amazing. Don't worry about the audience, just sing."

"Just sing?", I echoed softly, raising my eyebrows at him. How could that even be possible?

He nodded. "Just sing like there's no one listening."