Chapter One

Chapter One

For three hours, I had been standing in five-inch heels, wearing a scratchy, sequined dress, and smiling so hard I felt like my face was going to fall off. I held a champagne glass in my hand, but it was full of clear soda rather than alcohol. I had always hated these formal types of events, but I endured for my family – and for my boyfriend.

My boyfriend, Jeon Jungkook, and I had been together for almost five and a half years now. We were what you would call "high school sweethearts". He'd asked me out in the sweetest way during our third year of high school, and we'd been inseparable and in love ever since.

My parents greatly approved of our relationship. My father was a semi-wealthy businessman at home in Busan, and he and my mother both wanted me to marry someone in a rich, reputable family. Jungkook was the perfect match in their eyes – his father was very wealthy and well-known in Busan. The Jeon family name carried a lot of weight in South Korea, and my parents had been very excited to hear that I had caught Jungkook's attention. Now, they were just waiting for a proposal.

I sighed quietly as I raised my glass to my lips, taking a small sip of my soda. My eyes scanned the large, elegant ballroom, hoping to catch a glimpse of Jungkook, tuning out the group of well-dressed people surrounding me. He had left my side about half an hour ago, and he hadn't yet come back to save me.

Jungkook was a master schmoozer – the women fawned over him and the men were awed by him in conversation. I, on the other hand, was a terrible conversationalist. So, being left alone in a large group of individuals who were waiting for me to screw up was a very nerve-wracking experience for me. It also didn't help that I didn't know a single person here – except Jungkook and my best friend, Minah.

I had met Minah in college and she'd immediately become my best friend. She had been the only person I knew in college, since Jungkook was a year older and in a different school. She came from a wealthy family in Incheon, and of course, my parents immediately took to her.

A week ago, our parents decided it would be a good idea to send us in their places at a formal event in Seoul. Minah had convinced me to attend, and now I was sorely regretting it.

"Hyorin, what do you think of Seoul so far?" a middle-aged woman suddenly asked me. Turning my attention back to the conversation at hand, I furrowed my brow at her.

"I'm sorry, what?" I replied, hoping that I didn't sound like too much of a fool. She just smiled at me.

"Are you looking around for Jungkook?" a younger woman asked sourly. My face flushed, and I was suddenly glad for the thick foundation I was wearing.

"Hush, Seulgi," the other woman scolded her. Then, she looked to me. "Young love, how precious."

I gave her a small smile, feeling very uncomfortable in my current situation. "Yes," I said stupidly. The older woman chuckled, and the girl next to her looked a little pissed off.

"Has that boy proposed yet? It feels like an eternity since Hyun-min announced that you two were together," the woman said. I guessed that she was close with the Jeon family – I'd never heard someone call Jungkook's father by his first name before.

I carefully replied, "No, he hasn't proposed, but I've only just graduated college, and we've both been rather busy. I think we'll wait a while longer."

The woman shook her head. "Honestly, you two should be married by now! I should talk to Hyun-min and make him get his son in line."

My eyes widened. She wanted to tell Jungkook's dad that we should be getting engaged? "N-no, that's fine. We're still taking things slow and learning about each other."