Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Yoongi and I didn't wake up until one in the afternoon, but we didn't get out of bed until three. I was tired and worried, and just lying quietly in Yoongi's arms was immensely soothing.

Eventually, though, we had to get up and get ready. My mother had told me that they were throwing me a homecoming party and that I had to dress nice. Basically, she'd invited a bunch of snobby rich people I didn't know and I had to dress like I was visiting a queen.

It took me longer than it should have to get ready, but I really didn't want to go. Dread weighed in me like a stone, and Yoongi tried to soothe my nerves however he could.

I dressed in a long, golden evening gown. I didn't try too hard on my makeup or hair – all I wanted to do was get through the night without my mother nagging me about my appearance.

Yoongi had to get ready too. He hadn't been invited, obviously, but I doubted my parents would care or even notice him – as long as he dressed the part. He had a nice black suit and tie, and I knew when I saw it that he would have no trouble blending in.

Finally, the time arrived. We had to be there at six – or rather, I had to be there at six, and Yoongi would have to find a way to sneak in.

We'd decided before leaving for Busan that it would be best if Yoongi went to the party with me. I didn't know what kind of stunt Jungkook and my parents were trying to pull, and I wanted Yoongi there as backup.

I took a taxi by myself to my parents' house. Yoongi would show up later, and that thought was the only thing comforting me as I sat in silence in the back seat of the car. I fiddled with my hands, and suddenly I remembered a time when I used to always have my nails done. But those days were dead, just like my love for Jungkook.

I felt confident – sort of. I knew that I didn't want to get back with Jungkook, no matter what he did to try and convince me, but I didn't know how strong my resolve was. I had a tendency to forgive easily, and I knew that I could crack under pressure.

The drive was much shorter than I liked. I quickly paid the driver and left the cab, standing on the sidewalk and looking up at my childhood home.

It had only been a few months, but it couldn't have seemed so far in the past. I had changed a lot in the past months – no longer was I the naïve, innocent girl that had her parents give her everything. Now, I was my own independent woman, and it was a wonderful feeling.

Carefully, I walked up the steps to the door. I rang the doorbell, standing awkwardly outside while I waited for someone to answer the door.

Moments later, the door swung open, revealing my mother. She was dressed elegantly as usual, but she had dressed up more for the occasion. As soon as her eyes landed on me, she engulfed me in a hug.

"My daughter," she murmured. Slowly, I reciprocated her embrace, and I realized she was shaking slightly. "Oh, Hyorin, I've missed you so much."

"I missed you too," I whispered back. Finally, she released me, stepping back to look at me.

"You look different," she commented. I shrugged, to which she gave a look of disgust.

"Being on your own changes a person, I suppose."

My mother let out a breath. "Well, come in. Everyone's been waiting to see you."

She took me by the arm and started pulling me into the house toward my death. Well, not literally, but it would seem like it until Yoongi got here, which should only be a few minutes.