CHAPTER THIRTEEN

The next day, I saw Luke at school. His eyes were downcast, staring at his feet as he walked.

"Hi Luke," I said, waving my hand slightly.

He gave me a small smile before staring at his feet again. Before I could ask him how he was, he walked away really fast.

I bite my lip, a nervous habit that I don't do that often. Did the kiss create some sort of barrier between us? I don't want that, considering that I need to save Luke. How can I save someone I don't interact with?

I close the locker that I had opened mere seconds ago and chase the blonde. Because of his long legs, he walks way too fast. However, I still manage to catch up to him.

"Can we please have a decent conversation without you running away?" I beg.

"What's there to talk about?"

I notice that Luke is playing with his sleeves again. It must be a nervous habit. I'd ask about the scars, but it's probably a sensitive topic, so I stick to the basics.

"Wanna eat lunch together?" I ask.

"Since when do you eat lunch with me?" Luke counters.

"Since now," I smile.

I see the corners of Luke's mouth turn up in a small smile. That's a good sign. He's not so upset anymore.

The bell rings before I can say anything. Luke and I go our separate ways. I'm looking forward to having lunch with him. People at school will tease me, and Jake may break up with me, but if this is my one chance to save Luke, I will do it. I just hope I don't wake up and realize that this is just a dream. There is nothing worse than thinking you saved someone, then waking up and finding out that nothing has changed and they're still dead. I don't want to experience anything of that sort.

Much to my surprise, today actually goes by normally, except for a few snickers from the popular crowd as I take a seat next to Luke during lunch. The boy is surprised that I chose him over my popular friends, but I only smile and talk to him. We avoid the topic of self-harm as well as the kiss, and lunch goes by pretty well. I even get Luke to laugh, and this is a big accomplishment for me because it means he's getting better.

I am disappointed when the bell rings, signalling the end of lunch. Today with Luke was actually beyond awesome. I wish he could know how amazing he is so he will stop hating himself so much. If I can get Luke to believe himself... man, that's more than I could ever ask for.

We pass notes in the one class we have together and end up getting into trouble for passing notes. But we laugh it off, because we're having such a good time.

When the bell rings, signalling the end of classes for the day, Luke and I meet by the lockers. He smiles at me and I smile back.

"Today was nice," he tells me. "Thank you, Hayden."

"Thank you for indulging me," I reply.

"No really," Luke shakes his head. "Today was almost like a dream. I haven't felt like this in a very long time."

His blue eyes meet my own as he takes my hand in his and kisses it. His lips are soft against my small white hand. He smiles at me and I smile back.

"T-this is so cheesy," Luke stutters. "But I-I... y-you... I-I think I've finally found my happiness..."

The blonde trails off, his cheeks turning pink. He looks down for a while, but finally meets my eyes once more.

"I think I found my happiness in you."

//Whopee! Updating this story hihi! Hi, I'm hazzabearlashton, the new co-author! I will update every now and then, when I'm not updating my other stories! Vote, comment and all that-- it means a lot both to me and  notfocused! Love you all lots! ~Cailan <3