chapter four

"just put your heart
in my hands
i promise it won't get broken
we'll never forget this moment."

~

tw: rape/sexual assault
(important!)

please be mindful that this chapter (and possibly future chapters) includes mention of rape and/or sexual assault and abuse. i have done my best to keep explicitness to a minimum while still creating the most realistic version of the story as i can. i wanted to illustrate a truthful and honest depiction of what i believe to be one of the most important issues apart of the hunger games series (re: forced prostitution in the capitol). however, a trigger warning is necessary as i am aware that this topic is extremely sensitive and can be personal to certain individuals. please feel free to message me if you are uncomfortable with anything or need me to delete/alter anything.

i have indicated where the trigger warning portion begins and ends so that you don't have to miss the rest of the chapter. thank you guys for understanding.
🤍

~

Caterina's POV:

I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I don't know what time it is, and frankly, I couldn't care less. I want to sleep but my thoughts are keeping me awake — not the good ones that make you smile and feel butterflies in your stomach, or the ones that are thoughtful and curious, but the dreadful, painful ones that want you to stay awake so they can devour you slowly, piece by piece.

I can't stand it anymore. I get up from my bed and storm into the kitchen, making Ruby and Ivory who were sitting at the table jump right out of their seats. When they see me, my stained cheeks and red eyes and tiredness across my face, they freeze.

"Caterina, dear, I'm so sorry," Ruby says, coming towards me and touching my arm gently. Ivory tries to smile but it quickly vanishes.

"You deserve so much more than this," she adds, and I have to smile as a response because I know if I say anything back I'll start to cry.

I clear my throat, walking to the cabinets and drawers. "Do we have anything that will help me sleep?" I ask, rummaging through a bunch of different bottles that are laid out perfectly in order in the first cupboard I see.

"I don't know if that would be best," Ruby says nervously, giving me a concerned look.

"So you do have something?"

She hesitates. "Cat, why don't you just... take a hot bath, I'll make you some tea, and by then you'll be tired and relaxed enough to fall asleep."

I groan and roll my eyes. "You guys are no help," I mutter as I walk past them.

"I'll be back soon, so don't lose your shit," I say, then I hear the door shut behind me and I start walking. I do feel bad for being so cold to everyone. I wish it was something I could gain control of again.

I reach the elevator and shut my eyes as it takes me up to the roof. I breath in and out trying to steady my heartbeat, but it's not really making me feel better. I get to the roof and climb up the stairs, finding the place where I was last time with Finnick and sitting down. The city lights are still beautiful and I don't think it's ever going to be something that I won't enjoy staring at. Even if there's chaos down there. Everything looks more peaceful from this high up.