chapter eleven

"hold onto me
cause i'm a little unsteady
a little unsteady."

~

Caterina's POV:

"Is this it?"

I nod and feel my eyes well up with tears.

"Please don't cry," Aria says, holding my hands in hers.

"You can do this," I say, somewhat talking to myself too.

The countdown for launching begins and I pull her into a hug, holding her - the only one who I am certain I will never stop loving - for what could be the last time. But I try not to think about that.

"I love you so much. No matter what happens. Remember that," I say. She nods and tries to smile, again, but she ends up biting her lip.

"I love you, Cat."

It takes everything inside of me to force a smile. I kiss her on the top of her head. "Let's get you up there," I say, helping her up into the clear glass tube.

"I'm scared," she says.

"Me too. But I believe in you. I'm gonna do everything I can to keep you alive, okay? I promise."

She nods and takes a deep breath. "Any last advice?"

I smile. "Be the bitch I taught you to be."

The tube seals shut and I press my palm against the glass, hers against mine. "I love you," I mouth, my heart breaking as I watch her being lifted up into the arena. It takes me a minute to realize that that might've actually been the last time I've held her in my arms, seen her smile, hear her laugh. I run out of the room and back up to my room, and I debate on whether or not I should watch it or not. She could be dead right now.

I make a decision and turn on the screen to the only channel they offer, and I feel as if someone's pulling out every single organ in my body. I see bodies fall to the ground and knives being thrown and I see Aria pulling out a spear from someone's chest. My eyes go wide. All I can see is blood until I feel too dizzy that my eyes shut.

~

"Where are you going?" Finnick asks as I get dressed.

"To save my sister," I grunt, tying my hair up loosely.

"What?"

"Are you even watching, Finnick? She's probably about to die soon. In case you missed it, there was a fire while she was sleeping and she was burnt on her legs and arms, and the only thing that wasn't left in the fire is a piece of rope. I promised her I'd do anything to keep her alive."

Finnick's face hardens as he frowns. "You've already asked so many people at the beginning. You know that this is a bad idea."

"Is it? Let me know if you can do something else to save her life," I respond, crossing my arms.

"What are you even going to do? Those sponsors are stingy, Cat - you know they'll ask for something in return," he says nervously.

"What's your point?"

"I won't allow you to go put yourself in that position. I can go."

I roll my eyes. "You can't do that. You're not from her district."

He sighs. "Fine, then at least let me go with you."