chapter nine

"words are flowing out
like endless rain into a paper cup
they slither wildly as
they slip away
across the universe."

~

Caterina's POV:

A lot can happen in two months. You learn a lot about yourself when you're recovering. For example - getting over the fact that your parents are never coming back does not get easier, like, at all. But apparently I should put my trust in time and the universe to sort that one out. Or that some scars really are permanent, whether it be physical or inside me. But regardless, I am recovering.

"Today's the day," Winter says. Me and Finnick sit on the couch across from her.

"How long do I have to go again?" I ask.

Finnick pulls me on top of his lap and presses a kiss on the top of my head. "Twelve Districts, twelve days."

I groan and let myself fall into the warmth of his body. "I don't want to go," I mumble into his chest, and he laughs.

"Is Finnick allowed to come?" I ask Winter.

"Even if I say no, he's going to be coming anyway, isn't he? So yes, he can come."

He grins. "It's not that bad, Cat."

Winter nods in agreement. "Oh, and," she reaches into her bag and pulls out a set of cards, "I made you these."

Hesitantly, I take them, scanning them over quickly. I scoff. "This is bullshit."

She glares at me and snatches them back, placing them neatly back in her purse.

"Well, I'd like to see you come up with something better."

I roll my eyes. "If I did, I'd probably get myself killed."

Finnick squeezes my hand, making me take a deep breath.

"Fine, okay. Are we going?" I ask, crossing my arms.

Winter removes her obnoxious sunglasses to look at me up and down, then puts them back in place.

"Not like that we aren't. Change your outfit," she says.

I furrow my eyebrows. "Am I going deaf?"

Winter places her hands on her hips and raises her eyebrows.

"Sorry, it's just that I don't remember hearing myself ask if you like my outfit or not," I say.

"I think you look great," Finnick says nervously, following me as I stand up.

"I think so too," I say, rolling my eyes at Winter, but eventually going back to my room to change out of my shorts and Finnick's shirt.

"Patience is key, you know," Finnick says, and I stop what I'm doing to glare at him. He raises his hands in surrender and laughs.

"I love you?" He says, coming up behind me and wrapping his arms around me tightly.

"You better. Now get out so I can change."

"Do I have to?" He pouts, and I bite my lip to keep me from laughing.

"Get out!" I say, letting out a laugh by accident which makes him grin.

~

Finnick's POV:

"I can't do it," she says. I try not to let myself break when I see tears forming in her eyes. I grab her carefully in my arms and hold her tightly.