chapter twenty two

"i don't have you here with me
but at least i have the memory
i tried to make it through the night
but i can't control my mind
i'm just thinking bout you."

~

Finnick's POV:

"Finnick?"

Someone's calling me.

"Finnick."

More sharply now. I look up.

"Hi. How are you feeling?" An unfamiliar face sits down next to me.

"Fine," I answer, but it's obvious that it's a lie. Haymitch put me in the district's hospital, though I'm not sure why. Nobody tells me anything these days.

"I'm Doctor Zaveri. You can call me Isabelle, if you want." She pauses and sets down her clipboard, folding her hands on her lap.

"I can't imagine how you're feeling right now, but I promise you'll start to feel better soon. Your body has been in mild shock since the explosion in the arena."

"Good to know," I grunt.

"You are actually very lucky. Some of the other victors got it bad."

I furrow my eyebrows, confused.

"Your friend Beetee is in a wheelchair. Paralyzed from waist down. He won't be able to walk for a very long time - it might even be permanently."

I feel guilty again. "That was my fault."

She shrugs and picks up her clipboard and stands up. "Not exactly. But rest up. I've been given strict orders to not let you out of medical until you're feeling better."

I'm about to ask her about Cat, but she's already gone. Besides, what would she know about her anyway?

I hear rough footsteps approach and I don't have to look up to recognize that it's Haymitch. He stumbles in and clings onto the curtain that hangs beside my bed.

"You look like shit," he finally says.

"I could say the same about you."

He chuckles. "Anyway, I don't suppose you have any alcohol with you-"

I roll my eyes. "Get out of here, Haymitch."

He straightens himself up and slowly exits the room. I sigh and lean back, lying down. All I can think about is Cat. If she's with Johanna, she probably already knows that I've been keeping things from her. Johanna couldn't keep a secret from Cat even if her life depended on it. It wasn't anyone's fault in particular as to why Cat ended up in the Capitol while I'm here; safe and protected and away from Snow. But for some reason, I'm only angry with myself.

Isabelle comes back with a bottle of pills. "Take two of them. It's just to get you to sleep. Your body needs to recover."

"I need to talk to the president," I say.

She frowns. "Why?"

"The Capitol took someone, um, a victor-"

"Oh, right. They have your girl."

"She's in danger. They could be torturing her now, as we speak, and here I am doing nothing to help."

"Well, you're not gonna stomp into the Capitol and ask for her back in your condition. Get better first. A rescue mission is out of the picture here."