Chapter 20: The Ball

"You know the stench of this nail polish is killing my vampire senses, Rebekah." I pinch my nose with the hand that isn't being painted. Apparently, we are hosting a Ball tonight for the family's returning. At least that is what Niklaus decided to tell me during breakfast this morning. Rebekah, Kol, Elijah, and I have made up over the past nights events. It was a bit awkward at first, but we got through it because we are family. They have consistently been asking me questions about why my eyes glowed red and my skin was burning. I've been giving them vague answers, and blaming it on emotions. However, I do not think they bought it, but they have stopped asking. Knowing the Mikaelsons, one of them is doing research into who I am; which means I am going to have to do the extra work of keeping them from finding out on top of planning an effective way to kill Elena.

"Yes, but you can't help to admit that your nails look rather ravishing, Ava." She replied with a smile.

"That is true." I smile.

"Rebekah, Ava, Tell me how handsome I am." Kol said, being vain as always. I rolled my eyes.

"Ah, Kol, you know we can't be compelled." Rebekah smirked, admiring her new nails. I stiffled a giggle as Finn smirked.

"You went after Elena?" Klaus barged through the door. "What is wrong with you?"

"uh huh, love. We both went after Elena." I smirked, Rebekah gave me a weird glance. "I can't miss out on the credit now can I?"

"Here we go." Rebekah nuzzled into the couch.

"Do you want another dagger in your heart? And Ava would you like me to kill your little vampire Caroline?" Niklaus threatened. I just rolled my eyes and flipped him.

"Again with the dagger threats?" Kol intervenes. "Don't you have any other tricks?"

"Oh, go back to staring at yourself." Nik turns to him. Oh, how I've missed the petty fights between the Mikaelson boys.

"And who are you, my father?" Kol spoke.

"That was a low blow, Kol." I glared at him. Everyone knows Mikael is a touchy subject for Nik. Why can't they see he was just trying to keep them safe?

"No, Kol, but you are in my and Ava's home." Nik warned sternly, walking up too Kol.

"Then perhaps we should go outside." Kol stood his ground.

"Enough!" Esther and I said at the same exact moment. Esther smiled at me in appreciation. "Niklaus, come." Nik glared at Rebekah and I. 

"We have a lot to talk about later, Ava. Especially after yesterday." Nik spoke before he followed after Esther. I rolled my eyes at his retreating figure and glared at Kol.

"Oh you are such a baby, Kol." I spoke rolling my eyes. He just glared at me and continued to stare at himself. You would think after a few hundred years together, the siblings would learn to stop fighting each other.

---

"Ava, do I have to do this? He probably won't even accept the invitation. He thinks I am a monster." Rebekah whined. We currently stood outside the Grill where Matt worked. I had found out not to long ago, after I had asked who she wanted to take to the ball, that Bekah has a secret crush on little Matty. So, me being all convincing and the only sister Bekah has, I made her bring an invite for Matt.

"Rebekah, I know Matt. It may seem that he thinks your a monster, but with a little kindness, he will be diving into the ball tonight." Rebekah had a glimpse of a smile on her face before she agreed. "That's my girl." I gave her a hug. "Now get in there and talk to him." I pushed her towards the door. She looked back at me seeming wary. I just held up both thumbs and smiled.