Chapter 31

"Ava..." The sound of Niklaus' voice filled my ears as his soft lips ran up my neck. "You are mine. I love you. Forever and always."

Air filled my lungs as I jolted upright. My skin was on fire. Looking around the room I was in, I recognized it as Niklaus'. That's when the memories of last night filled my head. The Coven. My powers. Killing Elena. Niklaus' death.

He's dead. The only man I will ever love is dead. He's gone.

A single tear slid down my cheek as I came to the realization. I am alone. Truly alone. Slowly pulling my legs off the bed, I shuffled towards Niklaus' dresser. Pulling a shirt from the top drawer, I inhaled his minty scent. The last bit I'll have him. As if on cue, I dropped to my knees, screaming in pure agony, as the realization came too. I would never see him again. I will never touch him again. I will never feel his hands in mine. His lips against my skin. His words soothing my soul. As I screamed, tears flowing, the house shook in tremors. The chandelier above my head quaked. Niklaus' bed post swayed back in forth, whispering my name.

"Ava..."

"Ava..." It called so sickeningly. No more Niklaus. No more Nik. I could feel someone lift me off the ground, as my name was being whispered in my ears, warning me to calm myself. How can I? How can I live while he is gone?

"Ava, I need you to calm down, dear. You will collapse the roof on our head," Elijah's voice began to seep through my self-destructive thoughts. "Please, Ava." As if coming too, I clung harder onto Nik's shirt and turned into Elijah's arms, letting all my tears fall. The house seasing its quake.

"He's gone, Elijah. He's gone." I cry salty tears into his suit. "I will never see my Niklaus again. I will never be able to tell him my secrets. I'll never be able to tell him how I truly feel. He died believing I didn't love him. Elijah, I am dying inside." Elijah petted my hair, shushing tones coming from his lips, as he motioned for someone to come over, and two pairs of feminine and manly arms wrapped around us two - Rebekah and Kol.

"I know, Ava. I know. Just breathe. We will get through this. We are family." Elijah cooed as the three Mikaelson's and I stood, crying and hugging for our loss. We stood there for what seemed like hours, until my tears had sufficed and only sniffles where left. Afterwards, I took a step back from the three and laid upon Niklaus' bed, taking in his remaining scent.

"Ava..." Rebekah cautioned her way towards me. I hummed in response as I stared at her approaching figure. "Why have your eyes gone completely red?" I gave her a look of curiosity before jumping up and into the bathroom, flipping on the lights. I looked into the mirror and gasped at my reflection. My eyes! They where red. My irises where completely red! I leaned against the counter as I took in the sight. The brown was completely replaced by red. Vibrant, evil red. They where so entrancing, yet, as I looked deeper into my eyes, I could see all the pain and heart ache.

This could mean only one thing. Carefully gazing at the faucet next to me, I wished for it to turn on and it did. I jumped back in astonishment as Rebekah gasped, jumping off the bed, and Elijah and Kol stared at me trying to put the pieces together.

"How did you do that?" Rebekah questioned. My witch side is back! I stared a couple more seconds in astonishment before trying to flicker the bathroom lights. As planned, they had flickered.

"Ava. Why do you have the abilities of a witch?" I shook out of my astonishment as I gazed back at Elijah. I guess this was the time to come clean then. Since my Niklaus is no longer here and the doppelganger is dead, why should I keep this secret to myself anymore?

"I need you three to sit down," I motion towards the seating inside Niklaus' bedroom. I took a step out of the bathroom, and sat upon my late love's bed. "I have something to tell you lot that will be difficult to believe, and you might just hate me for keeping it to myself." Rebekah, Elijah, and Kol gave me weird looks, but did as I had asked. "I am not who you think I am."