Chapter 11

"(Y/N). (Y/N), wake up." My eyes slowly fluttered open, and I saw Draco's face right above mine. "Damn it, Lioness, you missed lunch. Everyone thought you ran off somewhere, and now I have to watch you for the rest of the day."

"Great," I muttered sarcastically, then pushed him away from me and sat up. "Honestly, I told the guy at the door I wouldn't be able to go anywhere. Where would I go? I'm not even allowed to use magic outside of school ye-"

"You may be able to trick other people into believing that, but you told me today was your birthday. You could leave if you wanted to."

"They're monitoring all apperating and disapperating that goes on here," I reminded him, standing up off the bench. "I'm not stupid, they'd easily be able to track me down." I spun on my heel and walked away from him, leaving at the bench. I heard his footsteps behind me.

"You can't just walk away from me, I have to watch yo-"

"Stop me, then," I snapped, speeding up my walk. I half expected him to do nothing, to let me walk away. But, of course, the universe was conspiring against me. One second I was walking, the next I was being held onto so I couldn't walk.

"You're being a real bitch, (L/N)," Draco hissed, and I winced. Not (Y/N), but (L/N). Damn, what was I doing wrong?

"That's just what I was going for," I retorted, struggling against his grip. He was holding one of my wrists, and he was stronger than one would think. "Now let go before I scream at the top of my lungs." He laughed.

"I, unlike you, can use magic, and I am not afraid to use the silencio charm on you."

"Oh, I'm so frightened. Draco is going to use silencio on me!" I rolled my eyes. "You're pathetic, Malfoy." I yanked my wrist from his tight grasp and stormed back to the manor.

The moment I got inside, I stomped my way to the main sitting room, where Lucius and Narcissa usually were around this time of day. "What the actual hell? I can't use magic. I won't run away. I'm not stupid. Why the hell does Draco need to be my freaking babysitter?" I was practically screeching at them. Lucius gave me an annoyed look, and Narcissa's face stayed neutral.

"After just walking off like that, without an escort, mind you, we can't trust you!" Lucius looked at me as though I was the most idiotic person in existence. "You're absolutely insane if you even thought for a moment we would let you walk around, alone."

"But why does Draco need to watch me? I'd much rather have-"

"The rest of us do have work to do. Draco barely does anything, he couldn't even fulfill his job of killing Dumbledore. Severus had to do it, instead." I stared long and hard at him, my face cold.

"I'm fed up with you, with all of you. I'm not even of age. I can't go anywhere. Even if I could, I wouldn't be able to disapparate away from here without being tracked. I'm not an idiot. I listen. I know things. And I'm tired of this." Narcissa looked at me, sort of surprised at my sudden mini-outburst. Lucius watched me, his face unchanging, though the atmosphere around him became almost exasperated.

"(Y/N)," Narcissa started, "I understand you may not like the fact that Draco has to babysit you, as you said, but it's absolutely necessary. We cannot fully trust you yet."

"But where the hell am I going to g-"

"Let it go," Lucius said harshly. I shot him a look that said 'Shut-up' and crossed my arms.

"I'll be up in my room. Or do you want me to wait so Draco can take me there, too?" I spun around and stormed out of the room, right past a suddenly-surprised Draco. I made my way up to my room, then slammed the door shut. I hopped onto my bed face-first and just lay.

"(Y/N), my father sent me up to talk with you." I could hear Draco knocking on the door, and he shouted through.

"Bug off," I called, burying my face in the pillows.

"If you don't let me in, I am going to come in," he said. I stayed laying on the bed. I heard the door open and I could tell Draco was walking over to me, as I felt his presence by the side of the bed. "Get up."

"No."

"Get up," he repeated, more forcefully. I slowly turned so I was instead up away from the bed's soft comforter.

"I will look at you. But I refuse to get up." I stared up into his grey eyes, making sure mine were full of annoyance and exasperation.

"Listen," he started, looking down at me. His hair wasn't as neat and gelled-back as usual. It was becoming ungelled, messier, almost like it did when I saw him last night. It was falling over his eyes, and he reached his hand up to brush it away. "I'm not necessarily going to tell you what my father said, as it will most likely offend you in the worst way possible."

"No, tell me," I insisted, pursing my lips. He just shook his head.

"But I will tell you what my mother said: 'You have only been with us for a couple months. It is only natural that we not trust you much.' We can sense you're hesitant about all this, (Y/N), and if you want to be kept around much longer after you actually begin training, you need to be 100% sure of it, or the Dark Lord will be sure to carry out his promise of giving you, your friends and your family a fate worse than death."

"Do you really think I give a damn about my family?" I shot at him, sitting up suddenly, causing our heads to almost bump together. He pulled away just in time, though.

"You care about Weasel, though," shot back Draco, a smug look on his face. "I'm only giving you advice, (Y/N). It'd probably be best if you took it." I took this answer as an opportunity to spin back over again, face buried in the pillow once again. I heard Draco sigh, then noticed a missing presence at my bedside. He was walking to the door, which he opened and stepped out. "I forgot to say, happy birthday," he muttered, almost too low to hear. As soon as he was out of my room, I shot up off the bed and ran to the door.

I wanted to call him back. I wanted to thank him. Tell him he wasn't such a bad person after all. But when I looked out into the hall, I didn't see him.

All I saw was his shadow.