Chapter Five

"My dad was an assassin like me," Dean started off, pouring himself another glass of whiskey, "After our mom died, he just became so obsessed with finding her killer that he just got into the job. He never told my brother Sam and I, but we knew. It wasn't hard to see the signs: all the frequent moving cross-country, the loads of checks he got from unknown names, and of course the literal arsenal he had in his car."

"So what made you want to become an assassin?" you asked.

"I guess I just kind of wanted to follow in his footsteps. That's what he would've wanted," Dean muttered, looking down at his glass with a frown. He raised the glass to his lips, taking a quick gulp. The alcohol burned his throat, but he didn't mind.

"Did he ever find the guy who killed your mom?"

Dean shook his head, "No. He was close though, but then he went missing and well uh...I think you can assume what happened to him."

"What makes you think he's dead? He could darn well be alive," you said, though doubted yourself a bit.

"I've called him thousands of times and they've all gone to voicemail. I've tried everything and no one can find him."

You shook your head in disdain, "He's an assassin Dean. He's trained at hiding from the surface of the Earth. You've just got to search deeper and you'll find him. I'll help you."

"Seriously?" he arched a brow, trying to figure out if you were seriously being honest.

You shrugged, "That's what friends are for."

"Yeah," Dean nodded bitterly, as if he'd just been shot down, "Friends."

~Time Skip~

"These are your cellphones right?" Bobby asked, holding a zip-lock bag with two cellphones in them.

"Yeah," Dean nodded with a mouth full of pancakes.

In the spur of the moment, Bobby pulled out a jackhammer from who knows where and smashed the down on the cellphones. "What the heck?!?" you yelled, almost dropping your coffee.

"Yeah, Bobby, what the hell was that for?" Dean dropped his fork, looking at Bobby as if he'd just gone insane.

"I don't know if you two idjits haven't noticed but someone is trying to kill you. Meaning you're most likely being tracked," Bobby explained and pulled out two flip phones from his pocket, "Take these. They're pre-paid and no one can track you down from them."

"Uh-thanks?" you furrowed your eyebrows but took the phone and so did Dean.

"You're gonna have to ditch the car too. You can grab a car from my junk yard. Oh and here are your IDs," Bobby handed you both your fake IDs, "You're now Cybil O'Riley and Peter Smith."

"Cool. Thanks Bobby," Dean smiled, "I owe ya man."

"Just stop being a pain in the ass and then we'll be even," Bobby muttered, "So where are you two headed now?"

"We're gonna go find my dad," Dean told him, "Have you heard from him lately?"

"Not since his job in Jericho," Bobby admitted.

"He went to Jericho? Well, guess we could start there," Dean shrugged, glancing at you.

"Yeah that's fine," you agreed.

"Just be careful," Bobby warned. You didn't really know much about him and Dean's relationship, but it was clear that he cared for him as if Dean was his own son.

~Time Skip~

"Jericho, California. This is going to be a long ride," you said, scanning the large map you had in your hand.

"Wish I had my baby," Dean sighed, "Turn on the radio. Hopefully the music's not as bad."

You nodded and reached over to turn on the car radio. The first song that played was "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley. "I think we just got Rick-rolled," you cringed.

"Never mind just turn that crap off, please," Dean groaned and you turned it off. Before you could say anything else, Dean's new phone rang. "It's probably Bobby. put it on speaker."

"Alright," you flipped it open and turned on the speaker button.

"What's up Bobby?"

"It's Sam," said a muffled voice through the phone.

"Sammy? How'd you get this number?" Dean asked with furrowed eyebrows, quickly recognizing his younger brother's voice.

"I've been trying to call you since yesterday. I finally called Bobby today and he gave me your number. What's going on Dean? The hotel manager said you and (Y/N) ran out of the hotel and left all your stuff there. There were even bullet holes on the walls."

"Sam, I can't really explain it right now. Can we talk about this later?"

"No, we can't. Where are you Dean?" Sam asked on the other line.

"Well, I'm currently driving to Jericho right now," Dean confessed, causing you to give him the death glare. "Sorry," he mouthed with a sheepish expression.

"Alright, I'll meet you there. And I better get the full story," Sam said.

Dean sighed, "I don't really think that's a good idea Sammy- Sammy?"

"He hung up," you said, closing the phone, "Good job, genius." Your words dripped with sarcasm.

"He's my brother. I couldn't lie to him," Dean said, keeping his eyes focused on the road.

"You've lied to him about not being an assassin. What makes this any different?" you asked. You waved him off before he could answer, glancing back at the window beside you, "Forget it, it's too late now. You're going to get him killed."