Chapter Seven

"Dean, I um.." Sam looked down nervously, "I have an interview in like...ten hours. I gotta be there."

"You're not coming with us?" Dean looked disappointed, then nodded. "Yeah, yeah, whatever, I'll take you home."

Sam was speechless, unsure what to say back but decided nothing would probably help. It didn't sound like such a good idea taking Sam back home, considering the fact that you were on the run.

"Are you sure we'd be safe going back there?" You whispered to Dean once Sam got into the passenger seat.

Dean shrugged, "It'll be quick. We'll drop him off then go."

You eyed him with a raised brow, knowing the risks. "We'll be fine. I promise," Dean assured and got into the car.

~Time Skip~

It didn't take long to get back to Sam's place. However, by the time you arrived, it was nightfall and Sam had fallen asleep in the passenger's seat.

As the car slowed down, you got a sick feeling at the pit of your stomach. Whether it was nausea or just anxiety, it wasn't a good sign. Either way, you chose not to say anything and watched as Dean shook Sam awake, who seemed rather annoyed by the sudden disturbance.

"You sure you're gonna be okay Sammy?" Dean asked.

"Yeah I'll be fine. Thanks for the ride," Sam said, waving goodbye.

"Nice seeing you again Sam," you waved and watched as he walked over to his front door, his duffel bag slumped over his broad shoulders.

As he approached the door, he swung it open slowly, but you didn't hear the jangle of his keys onto the lock. "Guys..."Sam muttered nervously, his voice faltering.

You and Dean quickly got out the impala, running over to Sam with a heightened sense of urgency. Right away, you noticed the problem. The door was already unlocked.

Sam raised his finger to his lips and walked in quietly. With each step, the wooden planks under your feet creaked, making it rather difficult to remain unheard. The house had an erie mood to it, as if everything was wrong and unconventional. It was like one of images where you just see a bunch of meaningless colors blotted around, but when you look closer for a prolonged amount of time, you start to see something else form.

You and Dean decided to check around the first floor while Sam went upstairs. What was heard next, brought utter chills within you. "Jess!" Sam let out a loud, desperate yell.

It didn't take long for you and Dean to come busting upstairs to see the commotion. In all your years of killing people for a living, you weren't prepared to see what was right in front of you. Jess lied lifeless on the ceiling, a knife plunged through her stomach. Her arms and legs were cling to the wall by nails. Blood dripped from her stomach onto the carpet floor.

Sam collapsed onto the floor, his face buried in his hands. You looked around the room, trying to find a clue as to how all this happened, or how she even got on the ceiling to begin with. That was when the timer in the corner of the room caught your eye. It was a minute away from zero.

"Guys, we should go...like now!" You warned, pointing to the timer.

"What-no! I'm not leaving her," Sam cried, resuming his spot on the ground.

"Sammy, you're gonna get yourself killed!" Dean used all his strength to pull Sam up and drag him out of the room.

~Time Skip~

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" you asked as Dean drove. You all decided it was best to head to Colorado and look for the Winchesters' dad, since trying to investigate Jessica's death was going no where.

"You got any better idea?" Dean asked. Sam was quietly asleep in the passenger seat.

"No," you muttered, sitting back in defeat. "But you have to admit, her death wasn't just some coincidence. Azazel's gotta be behind this."

"Why would he kill his own niece though?"

"I'm not sure," you pondered, "That's what I can't seem to figure out."

"Whatever it is, he's after our heads. So our best lead is to find my dad first. He''ll know what to do," Dean assured.

"I hope so," you glanced out the window beside you, watching the sun slowly rise through the warm, orange glow of the sky.

~Time Skip~

The drive was long and by the time you got to Blackwater Ridge, you were exhausted. You walked into the ranger station, rubbing your eyes tiredly as Sam and Dean looked around the room. Sam had his eye on the 3D map of the national forest, while Dean was more focused on the decor.

"It's cut off by these canyons here, rough terrain, dense forest, abandoned silver and gold mines all over the place," Sam, pointing to the map.

"Check out the size of this bear!" Dean was struck with awe, completely ignoring Sam's statement. You rolled your eyes and followed Sam to go check out a framed photo of a man standing behind a much larger bear.

Out of no where, you got a text from your phone. You turned it on to see that it was from a blocked number. "I'll be right back with you guys," you muttered and quickly slipped out of the room before the ranger came in.

Once you were outside, you unlocked your phone to view the message:

Tristen Derby. 24. Omaha, Nebraska.

Price: $20,000

It was another job offer. That wasn't too far from here. Nebraska was just a state over and you could use the extra cash if you were going to keep running from Azazel. But then again, Sam and Dean still needed your help. And you couldn't just leave them on their own. You were stuck at an utter stale mate.

You were shaken from your brief moment when you heard Sam and Dean leaving the station. "Since when are you all shoot first ask questions later,anyway?" Dean asked as they both approached the impala, waiting for you to join.

"Since now, "Sam turned away and got into the car.

"You coming, (Y/N)?" Dean called out after you.

"Uh yeah," you nodded, "Let's go." Internally, you hoped maybe this would delay your decision making for a little while longer. Whatever choice you decided to make, there were pros and cons to each side: Abandon the Winchesters for quick money and end up making them hate you for it? Or stay with them to find their father who's probably already dead and risk being Azazel's next target?