Chapter Twenty-Four

The guards came rushing in before you could even think about running. Most of the smoke had cleared out the room and the lights came back on.

66

Gabriel was gone. You couldn't even process the fact that Lucifer's goons had you shoved against a wall. The killer lost their target. What was Lucifer going to do? But all you could think about is what Gabriel told you.

66

What did that mean?

~Meanwhile~

Dean woke up to the sound of clinging against the jail cell bars. All his other cell mates were fast asleep. Keys turned and his cell was opened. He rubbed his eyes to adjust them, seeing what looked like five guards surrounding his cell. He looked to Bobby and Crowley, who were still asleep, their light snores filling the room. Before he could say anything, one of the guards yanked him out of bed by the collar of his jumpsuit.

"What the--"

Two guards had a hold on him now, dragging him out of the cell. Dean kicked around, trying to resist. His cellmates started to wake up from the noise, but the door was already locked.

"Dean?" Bobby muttered, rising out of bed.

"SOMEBODY HELP--"

"Shut up!" One guard smashed his baton onto Dean's knee.

He let out a shout and hunched over, clutching his fractured knee. Another guard swung his fist across Dean's jaw. Soon after, the rest of the guards stomped him out.

At this point, most of the prisoners on that cell block woke up to Dean's beating. Everyone watched as the guards punched and kicked at Dean's face, stomach, ribs, neck, and so on. They didn't stop until Dean stopped making any noise. The beating felt like it lasted for eternity. His eyes were closed shut and blood dripped from his lips. The linoleum tiles were painted in spotches of crimson. Dean lied on the floor, stirring slowly as he curled into a spoon. Two guards grabbed him as the others opened up his cell. The prisoners all stepped back as the guards tossed Dean onto the cold cell floor and locked him back in.

Bobby immediately rushed over to Dean. The other prisoners went back to their beds, not bothering to help. One of the guys who slept on the floor hopped onto Dean's bed. Crowley watched as Bobby checked Dean's pulse. Bobby let out a quiet sigh of relief.

"He can take mine," Crowley offered, sliding off his bed to let Bobby carry Dean onto the mattress.

"Thank you," Bobby muttered, softly putting down Dean. "What the hell was all that for? In the middle of the night?"

Crowley met Bobby's gaze, his stare holding heavy weight. "This was a message."

Bobby looked back down at Dean, whose face was covered in spots of red and purple. "Lucifer."

~Time Skip~

66.

"Hello? Did the smoke fill your ears in that hotel room?!" Abbadon's voice snapped you out of your trance. It didn't take long to get back to Lucifer's office. On the ride back to Lucifer's where you were tied up and shoved in the trunk of a van, you kept thinking about what Gabriel told you in that hotel. If he was telling the truth, that number had to be significant. Maybe it would help you take him down.

"I don't know why you don't just kill (her/him) now," Abbadon walked back toward Lucifer, crossing her arms in frustration.

Lucifer was difficult to read. There was no clear sign of a smile on his face, but he didn't seem angry either. You looked at him and saw... nothing. The room was silent after Abbadon's long rant. Everyone waited to hear what their boss would say. He usually hit you with his quick quips or remarks, but the man was silent.

"I've killed for you. A man with a family," You told him, finally breaking the silence. Your voice echoed around his office. You could care less about Lucifer's side piece right now. This was between you and him. "I could've ran off when Gabriel set that diversion up, but I didn't. I'm still here to keep my friends safe, but how do I know you haven't killed them already?"

Lucifer didn't react, maintaining his unreadable expression. "I can't believe (s)he thinks (s)he can talk to you like that!" Abbadon scoffed. "Just say the word and I'll kill-"

"Shut up Abbadon, jeez," Lucifer sighed, still maintaining his eye contact with you. She was shocked, but complied. "(Y/N), I feel like when I gave you this job, I made the rules very clear. You do what I say no questions asked, or I hurt your friends. Plain and simple."

This time you had nothing to say. It was poor word choice on his part, but you weren't going to call him out for it. He was too calm to risk using your casual comebacks. An unpredictable Lucifer was a side of him you'll admit, you were afraid to see. Not for the danger it might bring to you, but for what it might bring to your friends.

"You want to complain about not knowing if your friends are actually alive? Fine," he shrugged, then snapped his fingers in the air. One of the guards paced toward Lucifer, holding out a tablet. "Proof he's still alive."

Lucifer beckoned the guard got hand me the tablet. The tablet was opened up to a video. 4 minutes and 27 seconds. You held the tablet in both hands then clicked the play button. There were several voices; a mix of chanting, shouting and what sounded like painful grunting. All you could see were the backs of what looked like prison guards, stomping and punching toward the floor. The camera tilted down as the guards started to ease up, and that's when you saw it. Dean was on the floor, writhing in pain. You felt a lump rising slowly in your throat. Trying your best to hold back any tears, you swallowed and let out a shaky exhale. He was alone in distress, with no one to help. You could hear the person behind the camera laugh and then the video cut to black.

"And proof that I don't go back on my word. When I tell you to kill someone, you kill them. Or I kill him. Plain and fucking simple," Lucifer spoke so calm it was petrifying. "Now get the hell out of my office. All of you."