Reyna IV

C H A P T E R F O U R

THE FAUCET TURNED ON, THE WATER SOFTLY GOING DOWN THE DRAIN.

It rinsed her hands, brushing off against her skin. She could already feel her hands go numb as the temperature became warmer. She grabbed the plate from the sink to scrub off last night's meal. Her back ached and her eyes squinted from the light coming from the window. Hylla peeled off one of her gloves to wipe her eyes and then, put it right back on.

She met up with her sister every day at C.C's spa where Hylla worked morning and afternoon shifts. They didn't make it back until five so Reyna tried her best to do her homework in the front lobby. She liked going their, maybe because she'd gotten used to the people who worked at C.C's.  Circe, the manager treated them well.

Reyna knew times were hard, but it still worried her being alone in the house. For a moment, she wished to ask her sister to stay for the night, but she knew that would be selfish of herself. She had a lot going on.

She didn't like thinking about her father much. It always brought a sorrow feelings in her stomach as if she couldn't swallow in the thought.

After being done with rinsing the dishes from last night's mean, she peeled of her gloves and seated them back on the counter. She rubbed her hands, soothingly and pulled her hair back up. Reyna watched her sister wash the dishes as she took slow scoops from the cereal. She wiped off the drip of her milk from her chin with a napkin.

Reyna looked over at her homework sheet next to her. She glanced at it warningly, not sure whether or not to trust her feelings or her sister's unspoken words through the whole morning.

She looked down at the silhouette sink. The water dropped down the drain. Hylla shivered under her warm clothes. Reyna didn't get a word or voice from her, besides the slow movements of droplets of water, dripping from below the faucet.

Her chair squeaked against the worn, hardwood floors as she pushed it closer in to the table. She supposed the bus would go without her if she didn't get ready earlier before the time. She grabbed her shoes from by the cupboard, lacing the strings with her hands. Reyna brushed her teeth with her toothbrush in the bathroom once more. Then, she grabbed her backpack from against the stairs.

"I'm leaving now," Reyna called back. "see you after school or?

"I'm not going to be home when you come back." Hylla answered and Reyna winced. "I-I'm sorry. You know how it right?"

Reyna nodded her head and muttered something but it sounded more like grunt. She grabbed her backpack and slammed the door behind her, making the house tremble and her father groan in his restless sleep.

◎◉◎

SHE WASN'T FEELING THE I-LOVE-SCHOOL VIBE, which was surprising because Reyna lived for school. It was all she looked forward to during the weekends and breaks. Her stomach grumbled and she felt gloomy and sad. Reyna wondered whether not she had her period, but that couldn't be it. She'd finished it yesterday. Her head ached, she barely got any sleeping. She flipped through her book, hoping no one around her would notice she wasn't talking.

Hazel munched quietly on her Caesar salad. Her friend, Frank where hunched together discussing about something. She was motioning her hands while Frank nodded his head. Hazel was the only person she knew with caramel hair and amber eyes, besides the halloween contacts lenses at the drug store, but those don't count.

She never understood how Frank ever became friends with Hazel. He was on the wrestling team and was one feet taller than her. His hair was buzz cut in a military form, she guessed because his mother was a veteran. Reyna's dad was a retired veteran, she had heard about Frank's mother from a rumor. She didn't have the courage to ask Frank that if it was true or not.