Piper (P A S T)

C H A P T E R S I X

" And when I promise something, I never break that promise.

Ever. "

- Walt Disney

THEY WERE BOTH ROLLED UP IN THEIR BED, HEADS RESTED ON PILLOWS.

She could feel the warmth of their bodies sided next to each other. Piper braided her hair as her hands twisted around it like they were vines. She could smell the scent of her strawberry shampoo and the perfume her friend bought her for her birthday. The bed was covered with a bundle of pillows stacked with magazines her friend had bought for them to read. They had the night all planned out for them from what they would talk about, the food they would eat, and the movies. She could never imagine how awesome the day would turn out and how responsible she felt when she had ordered pizza herself.

Piper couldn't wait. Her clock ticked endlessly. She had waited for every last breath the minute until Drew came to her doorstep with her backpack and sleeping bag staring straight at her with a grin on her face.

Her father had left as soon as Drew came. He gave Piper a quick kiss on her forehead and said his goodbyes. She never got the chance to say her own as he was gone in a zip. His car drove away from their house, leaving her behind. She watched as the car drive away. For a moment, she got a bad feeling in her stomach or maybe it was just that she was jittering all over. Piper felt like she was going to explode any minute waiting for so long.

Nothing could ruin today, not even her dad although right at the moment, she had wish he had stayed. Unlike other girls she knew, they hated their parents and didn't want anything to do with them. They stayed away from them and kept their doors shut close. Piper couldn't imagine what it felt like for a parent just wanting to spend a moment with their child, while they didn't want to. Piper had the opposite problem. Tristan Mclean never had time to spend with his daughter or just that he didn't want to.

She kicked her slipper against the marble ground in vain as a bruise formed on her foot. Piper bit back the pain as she bit her lip.

Drew had finally come. Piper buried her in a hug, inhaling the sweet scent of her lavender perfume. Nothing had felt she good as it did now to greet her friend. Drew had on a Pink Garfield Tee and a pair of Abercrombie & Fitch sweatpants. Her slick, Asian black hair was up in a high ponytail and she was wearing the chapstick Piper had bought her last week. 

The sleepover started out wonderful. They had watched a movie on Piper's bed while eating pizza. She had brought popcorn too that she microwaved in the oven, although the first time Piper tried it, they burned. Piper crossed her fingers the next time she did it and when she took a bite from the popcorn, her entire mouth melted by who good it tasted. They laughed the whole way upstairs about the burnt popcorn and how close Piper would have been until she burned the entire microwave. 

Piper had picked out four movies for them to watch before they cuddled up into their sleeping bags and stayed the entire night reading magazines and talking about how awful school was. The idea of going back to school made her want to vomit. The two-week break felt like it went by so quickly to Piper's disappointment.

"Are you looking forward to school to start Piper?" Drew asked as if reading Piper's mind. She looked up at Piper's ceiling. She always felt full of dismay and guilt whenever she thought of her own wealth and luxurious house as if she had to feel bad about it. Sometimes Piper wondered whether or not Drew hated that about her.

"No way!" Piper said back. "Back to tons of homework and awful teachers. I can't stand another night of school. If I have to do one more page of a worksheet for homework, I'm going die."