Jason X

C H A P T E R T E N

MRS MINERVA WASN'T IN THE CLASSROOM WHEN HE CAME IN.

When Jason walked into the classroom, everything was a disaster. Paper airplanes were flying across the room, Travis was putting leaves into Katie's hair. Everyone was talking and sitting on the desks. If Miss. Minerva were in here, Jason thought to himself, no one would be acting like this.

He remembered the first time he meant her on the first day of school. Jason was eating a cupcake that had been handed out by the counselor; Mrs. Aphros a thirty year old teacher with a bright pink dress and curly ginger hair. It was a dreadful idea in his part to eat the cupcake after getting a sight of her. He spotted Miss. Minerva and literally choked on his cupcake.

Now that he thought about it, Miss. Minerva reminded in of Miss. Trunchball from the book Matilda by Roach Dahl that he read in third grade after his teacher found him in the room by himself during recess while everyone was playing outside.

As Jason got to know her better and spend his free periods in his class working on missed assignments and finishing up exams, he grew to like her. Looks can be deceiving and he learned not to judge someone by how they look for Miss. Minerva seemed like a tough lady and yes she was, but there was more to her than that.

She was at least six-feet tall with straight black hair and eyes lighter than blue as if all the color were sucked out and left with gray. Everyone in the classroom either feared her or respected her. When heads were turned, he could hear the boys always whining about how mean and cruel she was but no one dared to act bad in her classroom when she was in the room.

In a rare moment like this, her classroom was a war house. There was shouting and a few brief curses while a bunch of boys in the front were playing a poker game. Drew and her gang of friends were seated on the desks painting their nails with nail polish (if the teacher saw them, they'd be dead).

Jason choose the desk at the side of the room nearby the window. He uncapped his pen playing it around with his hands.

Jason heard a loud smack over at the door as the teacher slammed the door closed. Everyone's voice shut down as if the teacher muted the classroom with a remote. Miss. Minerva had a frown on her face. Everyone had seated back into their desks. He could barely imagine what would happen next and what she would do.

The teacher seated her folder and computer on her desk acting as if nothing had happened. She dusted of the dust from her computer screen and tapped loudly on the keyboard while everyone waited, silently for her next move.

She clapped."I'm guessing all of you already finished with your projects already!"

Heads turned to the board. What project was she talking about? Jason squinted his eyes, lifting his glasses up as they had gotten to the peak of his nose.

"Why of course." She smiled, innocently."Isn't that why all of you were talking before I came in?"

Someone through a paper at his desk. Jason caught it before the teacher could notice and unravels the sheet of paper. He eyed the thread of parchment.

do you want to do the project together?

He felt a pair of eyes on his. Jason turned to the right and spotted Piper looking at him. There was a smile on her face and she was improvising something with her hands.