Chapter 1 (Part 1)

*picture of Amara above

"Mara!" My friend's voice pierced through the air as she burst into my room. Groaning, I wrapped my pillow around my head, attempting to shield myself from the impending disturbance. "Oh no, you don't."

She seized at the blankets, yanking them off me. I shivered as the warmth of my cocoon was abruptly stripped away, replaced by the cold air of my room. "Lexie!" I protested, futilely reaching for my blankets, only for them to be tossed disdainfully to the floor."If you don't get up now, we're going to be late for the meeting, and you and I both know that Alpha Luke will be super pissed! So get your cute butt out of this bed and go get ready!"Luke McHall, our pack's Alpha, inherited his position six years ago from his father upon finding his mate, Sophie. He was known for his kindness to every pack member, even the omegas, and his unwavering commitment to our pack's safety.

Yesterday, Alpha Luke had declared a mandatory pack meeting at ten o'clock to discuss recent rogue attacks in neighboring packs. I glanced at my alarm clock and realized it was 9:45."Shit," I muttered under my breath. Swiftly, I leaped off my bed and darted into my bathroom. In the mirror, my blue eyes appeared dull with bags underneath, and my light brown hair was tousled from sleep. With no time to spare for a shower, I gathered my hair into a ponytail and hastily brushed my teeth.

Clad in black leggings and a t-shirt, my idea of acceptable public wear, I applied deodorant and spritzed myself with perfume. Ready to face the day, I joined Lexi in the hallway. She shot me an annoyed look as I closed my bedroom door, and then, grabbing my hand, practically dragged me down the stairs and out the door.

We sprinted to the clearing where the meeting was taking place, a five-minute dash from my house. To our chagrin, everyone was already assembled, some shooting us disapproving glares as we approached. I made eye contact with my parents, standing toward the front, their frowns deepening.

My brother, Charlie, chuckled to himself as I said goodbye to Lexi and navigated through the crowd to stand next to my family.

"Mara, is it even possible for you to be on time for anything?" teased Charlie. I elbowed him gently, chuckling, "Shut up." The pack fell silent as Alpha Luke and Luna Sophie entered the clearing.

"I've called you all here for an important announcement. As you know, rogue attacks have occurred in neighboring packs. We've doubled patrols, increased the number of pack warriors, intensified training, and prepared safety rooms. I believe we'll be prepared if rogues attack."Cheers erupted, but Alpha Luke signaled for silence. "However, there's something worse we must discuss." Confused, I exchanged a glance with Charlie, mirroring his puzzled expression."We've received word from our allies in the north that the Red Dawn Pack is planning to invade our pack." The silence that followed was so profound you could hear a pin drop. "Tonight." Panic seized the pack. Children cried, and chaos ensued.

This was far graver than rogue attacks. The Red Dawn Pack was the strongest in the US. Starting at age 12, every member underwent intense training, and rumors circulated about their cruelty. Their leader, Alpha Damien, at only twenty-three, was one of the most feared wolves in the country, known for his ruthlessness even towards his own pack.

"Silence!" demanded Alpha Luke. "The safety rooms are prepared so all non-warriors will  stay there tonight. Thanks to our allies we know what's coming and will be prepared, and we will not go down without a fight." A murmur of agreement rippled through the crowd.

"You are dismissed. Warriors, please wait here; I have some things to discuss with you."The clearing erupted in noise once again. I turned to my mother, who was in my dad's arms, tears streaming down her face. The realization hit me; my father and Charlie weren't joining us. My dad has been a pack warrior since before I was born. Charlie, on the other hand, received the title only a month ago. He was still new and inexperienced.

Tears welled in my eyes as I hugged my brother. "Please, don't die," I whispered into his shoulder. He laughed, squeezing me tighter. "I won't, little sis. I love you." Pulling back, I gazed up at him, sensing his fear behind the brave facade. "I love you too," I replied.

Then, I turned to my dad. Jumping into his arms, I wrapped mine around his neck. "I love you, Dad," I said into his shirt.

"I love you so much, Amara. I'm proud of the woman you've become. If I don't make it tonight, I promise I'll always watch over you."

I couldn't hold back the tears. "Why are you saying this? You'll be fine." He wiped my tears away. "I needed to say this. Take care of your mother for me." I nodded. "I will."

I gave Charlie and my dad one last hug before my mother and I hurried back to our house to pack some clothes. Glancing back at my childhood home, I rushed off to the safe house, the weight of uncertainty and fear pressing upon me.