When Formalities Are Forgotten. [A Student/Teacher Love Story] (29)

I lifted my head up slightly, blinking a few times to wake myself up. I thought I had fallen asleep with my head rested on the back of the seat, but the awful crick in my neck told me differently. I had fallen asleep with my head rested on Mr. Hinchcliffe's shoulder and my hand still encased in his. I pushed myself away quickly and ran my hand across my face, hoping that my blush wouldn't surface itself.

I was hoping that i would have awoken to the pleasant sound of the pilot announcing that we had landed but after checking the time quickly on my phone, I realised that we were only 5 hours into the flight! Oh God...I had another 4 hours to sit through!

I looked to my left hoping to see Mr. Hinchcliffe sleeping but to my dismay (or pleasure, I’m not too sure) he was looking in my direction with an amused smirk playing on his lips.

“Morning, sleepy head.” he addressed me as he pulled out his headphones, pausing the music on his iPod and resting it on his lap.

“Uh...morning?” I mumbled, still weary from sleep. I rubbed my hand across my eyes, reaching for the bottle of water on the pull down table in front of Mr Hinchcliffe.

“Can I...?” I started to ask, but he nodded anyway. I took a drink, almost gulping down the whole bottle. Wow, sleep really took it out of me. Ugh. At least after I had a drink I felt much more refreshed and alert.

Noticing that his iPod screen was still illuminated, I decided to be nosy and lean over slightly to see what he had been listening to.

Time Is Running Out – Muse.

“You like Muse?!” I asked, pretty surprised by that. I thought teachers listened to, like, I don't know...crappy music. Muse are amazing!

“Oh, yeah...first band I ever saw live, you know.” He turned towards me in his seat, clearly interested in the topic of conversation. So was I, music is my passion.

“Really? I would love to see them live. I adore them.”

“Meaning you adore their music, or Mat Bellamy's smile?” He smirked as he asked the question, winking at me. I ignored how hot he looked when he did that, I had more important things to think about right then.

Like the fact he just accused me of liking a band just because of their looks. It annoyed me so much that I couldn't even hold in my annoyance. I would usually grit my teeth and deny it, but not right now. Not when the topic is music. How dare he accuse me of something like that?!

“Excuse me! How dare you even suggest that? Music...it means a lot to me. It's helped me through a lot, especially the band we're talking about. Muse, the band that pulled me through some very fucked up times in my life. So, if you wouldn't mind could you please stop trying to make me seem like a small minded, shallow fan girl? Thank you.”

For a moment, he looked almost apologetic. It flashed quickly across his features, though, because it was gone by the time I had blinked and was back to the arrogant smirk.

“Wow, who injected you with some confidence while you were sleeping? I was only joking around, it's what I do. Someone needs to teach you to control your anger, Mrs. Mental. So, what other bands do you like? I didn't really pin you down as being the kind of girl who likes alternative music.”

“There you go again, jumping to conclusions. Stereotyping isn't a good idea. If I stereotyped you on your job, you would be an old guy who lives in a suit, never smiles and listens to elevator music on his iPod. So shush.”

“Oooooh, feisty. So come on, what music DO you like?”

“Umm...Lots. Mainly alternative and rock but I guess I listen to some dance and dubstep, too. Muse, 30 Seconds To Mars and Lostprophets are the most important to me. You?”