When Formalities Are Forgotten. [A Student/Teacher Love Story] (37)

“How are you feeling, dear?” My Aunt asked, her voice gentle and concerned as she made her way to the chair at the side of my bed. She raised her eyebrows slightly at Marc sat next to me on the bed but didn't say anything, thankfully.

To be honest, she was the last person I wanted to see. Why on earth did she not warn me about Marc's past? I could have been in danger!

“Oh, I feel wonderful, thank you. Yeah, brilliant. It's not like my life has been turned upside down or anything like that.” My tone was laced with sarcasm and I narrowed my eyes at her.

“Oh, honey, I am so sorry. If I told you everything, Marc wouldn't have been able to do his job properly.”

She made a move to hold my hand but I snatched it away. She still had a lot of explaining to do, she wasn't getting away with it that easily!

“So why the hell didn't you tell me after I overheard you talking in the living room?! Instead, you let me believe what I heard. You must have known that I wouldn't just stay there after I had heard such a thing. Come on! You must have known that I wouldn't let Damien stay with you after that. You could have avoided this whole situation by just telling the truth.

At the end of my little speech I turned to Marc, signifying that he was also included in this.

“This goes for you, too.”

“Jasmine,” My Aunt began, “I-I know. I know at that point I should have told you that you had the wrong end of the stick. I'm sorry, honey, I really am. But I never thought in a million years that you would take off! That was very, very stupid, by the way. You're in trouble for that.”

I scoffed, knowing full well that I wasn't in any sort of trouble at all. She smiled at my response and I shrugged back, not really knowing what to say. An awkward silence hung in the air...until Marc started speaking. Honestly, even though I didn't really want to hear what he has to say about the situation, I knew I should listen. Plus, he's saving me from an awkward silence!

“Look, Jas, you jumped to the wrong conclusion and barely gave me time to correct you. So, no, I'm not going to apologise. You were fucking stupid and practically went to find danger. After the scare with the FBI only a few hours before, you thought it would be a good idea to run off. Well done.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. I would have argued if I had the energy but I didn't. He also made some sense...but he failed to mention that me running off was justified.

“When I took Damien and ran off, it was a reasonable thing to do. Put yourself in my shoes, imagine you heard what I did.” I spoke quietly, hoping these simple words would at least make them partially understand.