When Formalities Are Forgotten. [A Student/Teacher Love Story] (36)

My eyes fluttered open and I was surprised at the brightness, having to blink a few times for my eyes to adjust. I was immediately aware of the pain that consumed me, particularly in my left leg and on my temple. I pushed myself up slowly, being careful to not to move too fast in case I knocked my leg or got a head rush.

Oh, just brilliant. I was in a hospital, meaning that what I thought was a terrible nightmare had actually happened.

Voices buzzed around me but I couldn't focus on them enough to realise who's they were or what they were saying. I leaned back against the wall and closed my eyes once again so I could focus on the voices. They slowly started to form sentences in my head and I sighed with relief.

“Jasmine, sweetheart?”

“Ugh...yes?” I groaned, my voice hoarse and my throat scratchy. I turned slowly to my left where the voice was coming from and suddenly, panic flooded through me.

I screamed. I couldn't help it, I t felt wrong for him to be here. Very wrong, yet there was also a part of me that felt okay with his presence. Better than okay, actually. Pretty good.

“Jasmine! What're you doing, shush!” Marc whispered loudly, almost aggressively.

“Get away from me. Get out, now!” I tried to sound forceful and authoritative but that didn't happen, instead I sounded weak and fragile. Damn it! I leaned back against the headboard of the bed and watched as he shook his head, a small frown on his face.

“Jasmine, please. You need to hear me out, listen to my side of things.”

I shook my head violently even though I did want to hear what he had to say. This was my stubborn, defensive side coming out. Well, he deserved it! I was reaching over to the nurses button at the side of my bed, ready to call a nurse to kick him the hell out of my room when I saw something. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a small flash of gold. I turned my head to face him fully and leaned back on my bed, just staring at the necklace that had fallen from underneath the collar of his shirt. My mums locket. It was as if fate was telling me to at least listen to him. Ah, hell.

“Fine, whatever.” I muttered, noticing the small smirk that appeared on his lips. Asshole. However, it quickly turned serious when he noticed I was still scowling, my hand still resting on the 'Call Nurse' button.

“Seriously, please believe me when I say that I am on your side. I was in the gang to start with, I admit that, but-”

“Oh, how fucking gracious of you to admit that to me, well done. Would you like a gold medal, a bouquet of flowers maybe?” I snapped at him, sarcasm thick in my tone. He just shook his head and carried on.