When Formalities Are Forgotten. [A Student/Teacher Love Story] (30)

I stepped off of the plain wearily, still slightly shaken from the landing. It was a shaky one because of the bad weather over England. Nothing unexpected, it is the UK.

I followed Mr Hinchcliffe through the tunnel that would lead us to the airport so we could collect our luggage. I couldn't believe that in under a few hours I would be able to see my little brother who I haven't seen in over a year! I couldn't help but be a little excited, even though I knew I was here to check on his safety.

I pulled out my cell phone and text my Dad and Jess, letting them know I arrived safely. I also told Jess that I would call her later...I decided I was going to tell her everything. I knew I could trust her not to judge me.

“Earth to Jas. Helloooo?” I heard Mr Hinchcliffe say from beside me. When I looked up, I noticed he already had our luggage in hand and we were stood in the middle of the airport. Oh. I guess I thought the whole Jess situation through for a lot longer than I thought.

“Sorry, I was thinking some things over. Shall we go pick up our car, then? Thanks for getting my luggage, by the way.”

He chuckled lightly as we fell into step beside each other, heading to the place where we pick up the keys for our hire car.

“It's no problem. Oh, and we're lending a car from a friend of mine so we don't have to mess about trying to find the right car and paying crazy prices.”

“Oh, okay...” I answered, slightly unsure.

“In fact, he's right there. Wait here for me a second while I go pick up the keys and um, speak to him.”

I nodded my head and watched as he headed towards a man in the crowd. The guy he met was dressed in a full black suit with a bluetooth headset in his ear, looking around his surroundings wearily. Okay, he was kind of weird. I looked closer and could see some kind of badge pinned on the pocket of his shirt. He looked really official and important, someone you wouldn't want to mess with.

I saw Mr Hinchcliffe point at the badge with an angry face and the man nod at him, quickly placing the badge inside his pocket. Marc glanced back at me and I swear for a second he looked slightly worried. Was I not meant to see the badge? Too late, Mister! Too bad I wasn't close enough to read it.

Marc took the keys that the man was holding out to him and nodded in thanks, turning back and heading my way. Marc got back to where I was stood and took both of our bags, motioning for me to follow him. I glanced back expecting to see the man still stood there, but he was gone. Weird.

“So...who was that guy?” I asked as we headed to the parking area.

“Just a friend, like I said.” Marc answered, not looking in my direction.

“He looked really important. What was that badge he was wearing?”

And then I saw it, the worry back on his face once again. I wasn't meant to see the badge, hence why the guy removed it.