Chapter 5•The Code

I struggled to stay aboard as the wind and lightning picked up spraying water everywhere, I was soaked to the bone. I stumbled as our ship leaned to the left making me fall for a moment.

"Marty!" I yelped seeing the poor dwarf holding on to a rope for his life. I quickly grabbed the lad setting him to the ground.
"Thank you Miss." He said before scurrying off.

I came to Will and Gibbs side trying to get the sails under control. Until a wave crashed aboard our ship the power knocking us over. The three of us quickly sprang up and I jumped at the clap of thunder.

God I hate storms.

Will and I tugged on the top and Will asked, "How do we said to an island that no body can find? And with a compass that doesn't work?" He shouted over the storm.

"Jack's compass is the best there is!" I defended wiping the water off my face to see better.
"Though his compass doesn't point north we're not trying to find north are we?" Mr.Gibbs added.

I emptied the water catching in my hat. "We are going to sink!" Will said. I smiled at him.

"No we're not! We're catching up!" I grinned as another wave crashed aboard. My clothes were sticking to me my hair everywhere. I left will nearly falling on my way up to Jack.

"Are we close brother?" I asked smiling at him.
"We are getting there!" He smiled back. "Watch out!" He shouted as a sail came my way. I screamed as it hit me but pulled myself up standing with my arms spread wide.

"CHARLOTTE!" Will and Jack chorused in worry.
"I'm alright!" I shouted over the storm.
"It won't budge!" Jack fretted.

"It's alright! I'll just stay up here..." I said almost puking at the sight of the crashing waves below me.

I looked around steadily making my way closer to the ship. Which was idiotic as to when the boat tipped to the right I slipped.

Yelping, I was now dangling above my fingers merely hanging onto the rope that tied the sail to the wooden skeleton to support the sail.

Now I was scared. But I didn't want to worry them just yet. Once again, I edged myself to the mainmast pole cringing when the sail swayed.

"Charlotte!" Will said below me. And by now a good percentage of the crew had seen my predicament.

"It's okay!" I called down when I was close enough to the boat deck. "I just have to..." I began to swing my body forwards and backwards.

"Charlotte Sparrow! Don't you dare!" Jack warned. The wind and the rain pushed against my back making it a bit harder for momentum.

"Shut it Jack!" I yelled sharply. Just a few more swings... And I let go.

The crew shouted in worry but I did make it onboard. Will quickly enveloped me in a hug. "You are incredibly stupid." He sighed as I shivered from the cold.

"Y-yeah. Let's go help Jack with the sails.

• • • • •

The storm had calmed down by now and we made it to somewhere. I think it was the island. We passed many crashed ships as we slowly sailed down the narrow, murky path.