(9) Dead Man's Chest

Dead Man's Chest
_________________

I sighed looking over the railing for any sign of my brother. After all now he was really all I had left.

Will had left some months ago, wanting to try and live an honest life. Not as a pirate. He claimed he still loved me but how could he expect for me to leave my family? So, he left me a broken girl. I did love him. And if Jack wasn't in the picture, I honestly would've left with him. But apparently, Will needed some space to think things through not accepting that piracy ran through his blood.

I looked up at the twinkling stars behind the cloudy blanket that tried to hide them. Tears almost sprung to my eyes thinking of Will's departure.

*Month's Earlier*

"Why must you be going?" I asked briskly walking after him.
"I need space from all of this!" He gestured around.
"Why?" I begged to know the true answer. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No! You could never do something wrong to me." He whispered cupping my face.
"Then why must you go?" I persisted.

"I don't believe in this. For all my life I believed in a simple, normal life. Not being called to an adventure everyday! I have to see what normalcy feels after going through this." He sighed. "You must understand. Come with me."

Tears sprung to my eyes, "No I don't understand, Will! And I will not come with you. What about Jack? I love you, Will. You are the first man I have ever loved. But now all of this coming out of the blue? It's heartbreaking."

"No, no, no. Charlotte, I do love you." He tried but I smacked his hands away.
"No! You wouldn't be saying this if you did! You were so happy with everyone here yesterday but now your not sure who you are? Your a pirate, Will. You can't change that!" I wiped a stupid tear away.

"Just because I have piracy in my blood doesn't mean I choose to act on it." He fired back.
"You can still be a pirate and a good man!" I said.

"Pirates never turn out to be good! They all turn out to be evil!" He spat making me step back, clearly hurt. His eyes filled with sorrow and regret and reached out to me but I flinched away.

"I-I hope you figure out what you want. I hope your happy." I sniffed looking down.
"Charlie please, just come with me."

"My life stays with family. My home is this ship." I said. "Just go. We'll be going soon." I had never sounded so hollow and broken before.

"I love you." He tried once more looking just as heartbroken as I. I shook my head.
"I don't want the last thing you say to me to be a lie." I told him harshly trying to sound strong but failing miserably.

"Charlotte-"
"Leave me alone! Until you figure out yourself, goodby William." And I was gone fleeing with tears.

*Present*

I haven't gotten any better since then. Everyone noticed. I was quiet and short when someone spoke to me, my eyes dull of expression, and my voice cracked and hollow when I spoke as well.

My damaged cracks were getting deeper.

I snapped out of my thoughts hearing the soft splashed of the water. It was Jack.