Chapter 10• Natives

I watched, analyzing the natives that were preparing the fire. There were plenty of men and women but hardly any children. I assumed they killed the most unnecessary members first. Which started with the kids.

I found that horribly unfair. They were innocent. They didn't deserve that.

I felt a small tap on my arm making my 'guards' stand in front of me. I hissed at them in a 'back off' way and the quickly did. I looked down seeing a little boy looking up at me shyly.

I smiled warmly at the child no older than six , kneeling down to his height.

The child looked incredibly nervous and scared and having no words to speak to him I put a hand on his cheek.

The child them handed a thornless rose to me with blushing cheeks. I grinned at the kid kissing his cheek, putting the rose in my hair. But where did the thorns go?

I gently took his hands in mine looking at the damage. They were bleeding badly. I held out his hands to the tribe who was watching and they nodded. However, a woman had held a knife to the kids wrists making the child cry.

I gasped yanking the kid away and in my arms. I hissed and shouted at the tribe making them step back in fright.

The woman made eating gestures to the kid and I growled warningly to the her. And though the tribe all looked similar, I noticed how the woman and the kid looked really similar.

That had to be his mother. Which was even more disgusting.

I picked the child up leaning him on my hip as he clutched to me for dear life.

"I didn't know you were so good with kids." Jack noted as I softly ran my hand down his back. I snorted,
"Yeah okay. Don't expect me to be wiping a kids arse anytime soon."

"What are you planning to do with him?" Jack asked. "He's to young. We can't keep him."

I sighed nodding. "But we can keep him safe for now. At least."

"Sounds like a future plan...but until then, we need more time." Jack told me before speaking to the tribe. I saw swinging gestures from his arms as well making the kid an I laugh at my idiotic brother.

I figured out that Jack was telling them 'More fire' and they all quickly scurried off to find wood. "Time to run?" I asked my grip tightening on the child.

Jack nodded,"Time to run."

We sprinted away the kid making ridiculous, adorable noises as he bounced on my side, giggling. We made our way across the bridge and stopped at a group of small huts.

Tired, I hid the child behind a few boxes successfully telling him to stay hidden and he nodded sticking a thumb in his mouth.

"Look for rope. Preferably long rope." Jack told me rummaging through the boxes in a hurried manner. I searched with him him freezing as I heard the sound of a sword being drawn.

Jack and I slowly turned around seeing the warrior cannibal. Jack ended up throwing spices on himself telling the Native it would taste good.
•••
And now we were tied to poles, passing the humongous table for a feast and getting set above the fire. Well, Jack was. I was next.

Drums pounded louder and louder as my nervousness grew. For Jack, the crew, me and even Will.

And it felt horrible. Throughout all the emotional pain Will put me through, as much as I tried to hate him, I could not. I didn't have it in me. I still loved him.