Chapter 8•Confused and Damaged

I gasped sitting up straight but quickly falling back down due to pain in my abdomen. I felt as if I had been drowning. But just got pulled back as hard as I ever could have been.

My hand rushed to my head as if that would cure my headache. My God this was worse than hangovers. I rubbed my eyes gently seeing a sleeping Elizabeth next to me. But as soon as I turned over creaking the bed, she shot up.

"Oh Charlie! Thank heavens your alright! I'll go get the nurse." She started to get up but I brought her back down.

"How long have I been out?" I asked.
"Maybe a week or more? I lost count." I nodded looking outside at the empty streets.

"Is there something going on today?" I wondered. She reluctantly nodded.
"Er-yes. The hanging of your brother."

"WHAT?" I shouted immediately waking up. I got up pulling on my now clean clothes despite Lizzy trying to force me back to bed.

"No you must rest! I'm sure Jack will find a way out! He always does." She fretted as I found my hat shoving it on.

"I'm fine let's just say I'm beating the crowd." I did stumble a bit since not moving my legs but it was like learning to ride a horse. You got the hang of it after a bit. However I did crash into the corner of a table making me fall to the ground.

"You can't even make it out of the door!" She pointed out as I winced standing up.
"I'm fine!" I hissed finally making it out the door and to the town square.

• • • • •

I got there just in time quickly spotting a hiding Will making his way through the crowd as they listed Jack's 'wrongdoings'.

A plan formulated in my head quickly as I grasped the handle to my sword to be prepared. The Commodore, Elizabeth, and the Governor were standing above the others looking quite sick about the whole thing. She knew it was wrong. She just couldn't find it in herself to do something about it.

I waved my hands ever so slightly to Elizabeth only her noticing. I made a fainting gesture and she nodded I mouthed the words , opportune moment, hoping she got the hint.

I heard a squawk in the air and looked up to see Cotton's parrot. Oh so they have come back after leaving us.

I jumped as the drums started to roll. I saw the noise being placed around my brothers neck and I quickly sprung into action keeping my head low. I pushed people out of the way very rudely in fact, but I didn't care. I heard someone from a distance fall assuming it was Elizabeth so no one of importance would recognize me.

I saw someone come beside me and though Will didn't see me I saw him. I unsheathed my sword and Will did the same shouting, "Move!" And people soon did what he ordered. Right as Jack fell, we threw out swords as fast as they could landing right next to each other. One for each foot.

The militia acted fast but too slow for us. For we were already fighting the Executioner. Will took the lead but got disarmed by the heavy man and I took initiative taking a few good swings before disarming him.

I knew he was going to use his size against mine so I backed up, for a running start, kicking him to the ground.

The good news is when Will was disarmed the sword chopped off the rope Jack was going to be hung by, letting him fall with the ability to breath as the rope unraveled.

The three of us moved smoothly and quickly playing a game of Red Rover with the rope taking out three men. I punched an advancing one towards Jack making him spin. When a few gunshots sounded, we took cover behind a support wall which led us to being circled by at least 20 men.