17 - The Vasiliev Duke Knows Her

Mark Sheppard as Archduke Dmitri.

Read. Vote. Comment.

+++++

Vivi invited Ivana to their house instead since she was supposed to visit Lucca but he was not there. Ivana pulled her hair into a messy bun and hid it in an over-sized beanie. She paired it with a moss green sweater poncho, black skin tight jeans and gray boots. Vivienne on the other hand wore a white long sleeve romper and gray Uggs under an over-sized fur scarf.

When they arrived, Vivi pulled her into the study room.

'I'll introduce you to dad.'

'What?! Now?'

'Oh, come on. You have to meet him. Don't worry I won't breathe a word about you and Lucca for now. Just a friend. You are my friend.'

'Do I have other option?'

'Nah. Come on.'

Vivi is quite a child. Spoiled yet sweet and charming.

Vivi knocked on the door then opened it. They went inside. There stood a man who looks like a military general. She met the duke a few times when she was younger and the impression she has of him never diminish. Still a scary and daunting man who knows and gets what he wants. His military background enhanced the intimidating aura he exudes. Although looking at Vivi as she hug and kiss her father, Ivana knows he is also a caring man. Just misunderstood by his son.

'Dad, this is Ivana, my newfound friend. Ivana, my dad.'

'Dobryj vecher, Your Grace.' Ivana curtsy as respect. (Good Evening)

'No need for that. Snežana.'

Ivana snap her head towards the duke fast enough to think it almost break. Her eyes bulging out of its sockets. She didn't know how or why he knows and it makes her worry that Svetlana has also found her true identity. She eyed the duke with questions in her eyes.

'Don't worry, Snežana, or do you prefer Ivana?'

'Uhm... Ivana.'

'Ok. Don't worry Ivana. I and Renaud are the only ones who knows about you. Now we have Vivienne on the loop as well. I know Lucca doesn't talk about me to you and that you also don't have a good impression of me but I am just looking after my son. We had a falling out and he still cannot forgive me. But I can see that he is happy with you.'

'Uhm... I don't know what to say, Lord Vasiliev.'

'You can call me Dmitri. Your father calls me Dima though.'

'You know dad?'

'He is a good friend of mine. Too bad he left early.'

'Yeah. Wait, how did you know?'

'I have eyes everywhere.'

'That doesn't answer my question.'

'You suddenly appeared in my son's life. I was worried he picked the wrong woman so I had you investigated. When I saw your photo that was when I remembered you.'

'Uh-huh. But I already changed my hair and appearance.'

'I remember beautiful faces.'

'You say the same thing as Vivi.'

'Of course. Besides you look like Helene when she was younger. Well, almost since Pietro won't accept it. He said you look like him too. He adores you so much.'

'Yeah. He always tells me that.' Sadness overcame Ivana as she remembered her father. Dmitri saw it and changed the subject.

'So what happened if I may ask? I was curious that you suddenly left without telling anyone. When I went to visit Pietro one time, he said you just said not to look for you on your letter then just disappeared.'

'Letter?'

'Yeah. That's what he said.'

'It's a long story. But I'm here now.'

'So what is the story behind your white hair and different name?'

'It's a long story?'

'We have all the time. I'm not going anywhere.'

'Can I keep it a secret for now?'

'There is something that you should know about me, young lady. I don't like secrets. Especially from the child of a good friend of mine.'

'Eh, do I need to get scared?'

'Just tell me what happened. I don't need the full details. I just want to know why you left. That is too sudden and it brought sadness to my dear friend.'

'Alright.'

Ivana told him the whole story minus the deal she and Lucca made. She also told him what she told Vivienne about her and Lucca's affair. When she was done, she found Dmitri assessing her. Vivienne who was sitting on her father's side smiled at her assuring her that she is not alone. Ivana looked back at Dmitri and found him smiling stiffly.

'I knew Svetlana is not the right woman for Pietro. She has an inner evil aura emanating from her when we met at their wedding.'

'You were there?'

'Dah.' (Yes)

'We were there but we didn't stay because dad has other meetings to attend that day.'

'Oh.'

'I can see you already have a plan on Svetlana, right?'

'Yes, everything is in motion. I just need to watch it and wait for her retaliation.'

'If you need any help, let us know.'

'Thank you, Dmitri. This means a lot.'

'Just be careful. By the way, where are your brothers?'

'I haven't met them yet.'

'Tell them. They will understand you.'

'I will.'

Ivana had dinner with Dmitri and Vivienne at the Vasiliev palace. She just realized that the hotel name Lucca owned in Paris is Vasiliev.

'So he is still proud to be a Vasiliev even though he is mad at his father. He just can't express it.' She thought.

She had a good time with the duke and Vivi. Never knew the duke is quite a funny man if he wants to and Vivi is a charming pampered lady.

When she bid them goodnight before she went home, they reiterate that she has to call them if she ever need help. She smiled and nodded.

As she lay down her bed, she decided to meet her brothers again.