25 - To Protect Her

Read. Vote. Comment.

+++++

Dmitri stand up on stage to call on the crowd. He motioned for his son and daughter as well as their friends and partners to stand with him. As everyone gathered around, he smiled and greeted them.

'Dobryj vecher. (Good Evening) It is of great pleasure for every one of you to come to this event. I know that all of you are curious about the reason for this celebration. Tonight is a celebration to welcome my son back and to introduce him as the next head of the family. With no further ado, please welcome Lucca Rousseau Vasiliev, 23rd Duke of Muscova, and my very own son.'

Almost everyone's jaws dropped to the ground in astonishment. No one expected that the famous French hotelier is also the son of Moscow's 22nd Duke of Muscova.

As Lucca walk forward to formally greet the crowd, he heard rounds of applause from them. He smiled as he stop beside his father who patted him on his shoulders.

'Thank you for coming to this event and for welcoming me. Most of you might be interested in knowing how things happened. I am a private person and wish for the reason to be kept within the family. All I can tell you is that I am glad that I and my family have met again after so many years. And I would like to thank my fiancée for being the reason I am here now. Let me present you my lovely fiancée and soon-to-be wife, Snežana Ivana Ravalli Orlov.'

Ivana was surprised at the introduction. Lucca announced her real name. A blush crawled up her cheeks as she stepped beside him. Introducing her as his fiancée, his words coated with pride and protection, made her heart flutter. She smiled at the crowd as she felt Lucca's hand at her back as if protecting her and yet being proud of her.

After the announcement the event continued. Ivana had a chance to dance with the duke. Right now they are at the middle of the dance floor swaying to jazz.

'So what will we call you now, little girl?'

'I prefer Ivana. It's the name I was reborn with and besides, Lucca likes it.'

'Then Ivana dear, since everyone knows about you now, how about we make the engagement formal?'

'Eh? Wait a minute, Lucca and I are not really a couple-'

'Are you sure about that?'

'Well-'

'I know I am trying to push it but I saw how you two look at each other. So why not make it real?'

'I would love to but I prefer to not push it now. Lucca and I just talked about it and we had come to a decision.'

'Lucca likes you. That I know much. He met with me and you know what the very first thing he said was? He asked for my help to keep his fiancée safe.'

'Huh?'

'The people who are connected to Svetlana are dangerous. They work underground.'

'You mean the mafia?'

'You catch on fast.'

'I knew that already. I had done background checks on her and her people.'

'For a young girl like you, you sure knows a lot more than you are letting on.'

'I have to be. This year has been nothing but shock and tragedy. I may be pampered and naïve before but with everything that happened, the little beast in me has been unleashed.'

'You have to be careful though. Svetlana looks like someone who will stop at nothing to get what she wants.'

'I will. I promise to be careful.'

'If my son learns about it, he will be distressed. He wanted to keep you away from harm and if he knew this, I don't know what he will feel.'

'I know what I am doing. Lucca doesn't need to always watch over me. As long as I know he is there, I can continue.'

'Well, I hope once everything is over, you will still be my son's fiancée and wife.'

'We'll see.'