Chapter Ten

"Ok, everyone calm down. I once watched an episode of Running Wild with Bear Grylls and I'm an expert on nature by now." April says, her eyes wide open, searching around the area.

"Guys, you're being over dramatic. We can just call someone." I say, rolling my eyes. I reach out to grab my phone and call Mom, before noticing that there was no service, meaning that I couldn't call anyone.

"No service." April and Shawn check to see if it's the same with them, and my hope that one of them had service was quickly crushed when they both shake their heads no.

I turn around and try to see my way back, or if the path was somewhere close, but have no luck. This is great. Just great.

"Someone will notice we're missing, right? And we told your mom that we were going to run, so I'm sure we'll be fine." Shawn assures us, and I feel a slight sense of relief, knowing that he was right.

"But in the time being, we're stuck here. With no food. Or water. In the woods. Are there bears in Canada?" April starts to rant, and I feel my stomach drop.

"Here's what we'll do. Do any of you have a compass app? I read somewhere that you reach water if you walk west, and where water is, civilization is." Shawn raises his eyebrows as April rushed over, then hugging me.

"You're my hero!" She says, until I ask who had the app.

Neither did.

"Well, only one thing left to do." April says, with a sad look on her face. Taking a deep breath, she then yells loudly for help. I put my hand over her mouth, telling her to be quiet.

"April, who knows what people could be in the woods? And I'm pretty sure there's a cemetery around here."

"Well then maybe one of the ghosts woke up and will come to help us." She replies, frustrated.

"I'm no ghost, but I think I can get you out of here."

We all turn our heads to find the owner of this new voice, startled by what we found.

The guy who spoke was only one word. Hot. I saw April pinch herself, and I wasn't 100% sure if I was dreaming our not.

"I've starved to death." April whispers, not remembering we've been here for about half an hour only. "I've died and now you are here to take me to heaven, and lead the other two downtown."

I swat her arm and she shakes her head, as if coming back from a dream.

"Who are you, and what are you doing in the woods?" I ask suspiciously, and he gives me an award winning smile, stepping closer. I didn't back up.

"The name is Collin. And I was walking home when I heard a voice call for help. I don't suppose that beautiful voice came from a beautiful girl like you, did it?" He flirts, and I shrug. I was used to this kind of talk, and it didn't phase me that this guy may be gorgeous, but he was a big flirt.

April raises her eyebrows and licks her lips when his back is turned, and I could swear that Shawn rolled his eyes.

"Actually, it didn't." Shawn steps up, joining the conversation. "And I recall you saying that you could get us out." Collin raises an eyebrow before nodding his head in understanding.

"Oh, I see." He says, looking from me to Shawn. Oh my God. He could not be serious right now. "Anyways, follow me." April is the first to walk, but I stay behind for a few seconds.

"He might be a killer, or something weirder." I mumble, loud enough for Shawn to hear. He shrugs in response.

"He's our only way out, so we don't have a choice." He whispers back, and we make eye contact for a few seconds before I nod, and we follow Collin and April. After ten minutes of nonstop walking, I start to hear the sound of a motor, and widen my eyes. Pulling April closer to us than to this stranger, I widen my eyes, trying to find out where the sound came from.

That's when I see the path, and the trees parting.

"I see the school from here!" April shrieks in joy, and Collin raises his eyebrows once again.

"It's summer, why are you going to school?"

"It means we know where we are now. Thank you Collin." I give him a brief smile. "Will we see you around, or when summer ends, at school?" By now April has sprinted down the path, towards civilization, dragging Shawn (who was glancing back several times) with her.

"Oh, no. I'm not from here. I actually just came about a day ago, and I'm visiting for a little before going back home." That didn't make sense. He said he was on his way back home.

Staring at April and Shawn, I question him. "Wait, how do you know the woods so w-" I stop when I turn around and Collin is no longer next to me. Instead he is out of sight.

"Okay, that's really weird Collin, and just a bit dramatic." I yell out. He most likely hid behind a tree, and although the trees were too thin for that, there were bushes too that he could have been behind. I could have searched to see where he was hiding, but April and Shawn were almost out of sight, and I certainly didn't walk to be alone in the woods.

I sprint quickly through the path, to meet April hugging the ground as Shawn stands above her in confusion.

"I'm never going in the woods again. I hate the woods." She says, and Shawn shrugs when I look at him.

"She's been repeating it for a few minutes now."

Finally, we get April off the ground after a bunch of strange stares from people, and she dusts herself off and I take a deep breath, still kind of confused about how half an hour ago we were stuck in the woods, wondering who we would have to eat first.

"So," I start, "Who wants to get ice cream?"