Chapter Twenty

It took about an hour to get ready, to be completely honest. I was wearing a full face of makeup, not caked on but instead in a more natural looking way. My outfit, after it being approved by April, was a red, mid length dress, that fit perfectly. It was one of those dresses that you wanted to twirl in over and over again, feeling like a true Disney princess. My thick blonde hair was curled and loose, and although it was curled the length was still half way down my forearm. As I walk down the stairs I grab a clutch bag and walk to the living room, where my mother and father were waiting. Mom wore a maroon dress and her dark brown hair was straightened. To be completely honest, I wouldn't be surprised if people asked if we were sisters.

"Oh, my baby has grown up so much." My mom says, tears brimming in her eyes. She blinks rapidly to get rid of them, then hugging me. After that she takes multiple pictures, and I can't help but mentally groan. We rarely ever went to any five star restaurants, even though the whole place was flooded with them. So of course, multiple pictures would be taken before we actually got in the car.

As we drive to the restaurant I can't help but tap nervously. The last time we ever went to a expensive, fancy place to eat I was twelve. I decided that when I got there I would just follow what everybody else was doing, so I didn't make myself look like an idiot. I could bet that some girls from school would be there, which is why I tried harder than usual. Although I didn't care as much of what the popular girls thought of me, I still had a reputation that I wasn't going to let fall.

Just as I thought, I instantly see two girls, one I forgot the name of, and one named Marisa.

"Bella, it's so nice to see you!" I smile and walk over in my heels to the two girls, hugging Marisa first, then the other girl. Standing next to them, I almost looked underdressed, with their gold jewelry and ruby rings.

"Ashlyn and I were just talking about how in two weeks the Summer Dance will be here, and how fun it's going to be." I nod, listening to her speak about what they were going to wear, and make a mental note of the other girl's name.

"What about you, Bella? Are you going with a guy, or April once again?" She asks, and I can't help but notice the jab. Her eyes glistened with a taunt, wanting me to say that no, I didn't have a date, and I was going with my best friend. I wasn't ashamed of going with April, but I was the only girl that didn't go with a guy to dances, from seventh grade to now. And after a while it gets boring. In fact, I didn't have any boy news in my life at all, so I was sure that the response I gave Ashlyn would be spread. Not to mention my voice did sound a little strange, so they would both know they just hugged a sick girl.

As I open my mouth, about to give a terrible excuse that I knew wouldn't help, I'm interrupted by a voice, and turn to face the owner of it.

"Actually, she's going with me." I feel a wave of relief and smile at Shawn, once again here to save the day. When he walks over I grasp his hand and squeeze it, as a silent thank you. I can't help but smirk at Ashlyn's face, and the way her jaw drops. Her whole face turns red in embarrassment, and- surprisingly- I don't feel a drop of pity.

"Y- yo-you're Shawn Mendes." She finally spits out, and he smiles.

"Nice to meet you two." He says, and I cut the conversation short, because I don't want to see Ashlyn choking on her words any longer.

"Well, we'd love to stay and chat, but we have to get back to the rest. Nice seeing you Marisa!" I give her a smile,and then place a fake one for Ashlyn. "Oh, and you too." With that I walk away, my hand in Shawn's, and Ashlyn's mouth wide open. Marisa wasn't as shocked to see Shawn because they saw each other at The Twist, and unlike Ashlyn, Marisa has been here since birth.

"Did you see the look on her face?" I ask him, and he smiles. I notice that we're still holding hands and let go, causing his smile to falter for a moment.

"Yeah, her mouth was open for so long I was surprised nothing flew into it." He says, leading me to the table we were all sitting at. Only then do I realize how good he looks in the suit he was wearing, and can't help but comment.

"You look great, by the way. Like Prince Charming." I tell him, and he smiles.

"You look pretty decent too. Like Cinderella." Before I can reply, we reach the table, and the underhand complements were over with from Shawn. Instead, his mom told me how pretty I looked, and Aaliyah said that I had to do her makeup one day.

When we all get the food we ordered, I grasp my fork. And no, we didn't get a miniature steak with a leaf on it, like you see in the movies. That would be terrible, and a true disgrace to the world.

As we begin eating there is conversation going on between the parents, and the rest of us are quiet. I look over to Shawn to notice he was already staring, and his cheeks redden before he stares back at his food. I see Aaliyah already watching, and she raises her eyebrows a few times causing me to roll my eyes at her playfully. Soon enough dinner is over, and my dad hands me the keys and tells me to wait outside while they pay the bill. Shawn's parents tell Aaliyah and Shawn the same thing, and as Shawn and I both start to walk, Aaliyah excuses herself, saying she needs to use the bathroom.

Shawn opens the door for me and I walk out, him behind me. We both sit right outside, waiting for everyone in silence.

"I need to return your hoodie." I say, breaking the silence, and he shakes his head.

"Keep it." He insists, and I nod my head. After a moment I open my mouth again.

"You know now according to everyone, we're going to The Summer Dance together."

"Yeah, I know."

Why was he being so quiet, only answering with a few words, then shutting up? I decide to press, tired of his responses.

"Do you want to go?" I ask, and he shrugs.

"Do you?"

"Well, it's not like we can just say we aren't. Everyone already knows about it now, and I'm sure I'll get a bunch of tweets about it when I get home." I try to say that yes, I do want to go with him, but not in a way that makes it too obvious. He seems to take it though, and I can only imagine how happy April will be when she hears the news.

"Are you okay?" I finally ask, not wanting to ignore the fact half of him wasn't in the conversation any longer. Shawn takes a deep breath and sighs, finally making eye contact with me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. There's just something that's been in my mind a lot lately, and I'm not sure what I should do about it."

"I can give you advice, you know. Help you out."

"That's just the thing though. I can't tell you about it, because I'm too scared. It's my number one fear." I nod, and place a hand on his.

"It's fine, you don't have to. But if you're still like this tomorrow I'm going to get super mad." I joke, and finally watch his mouth form into a small smile. Just then everyone walks out of the restaurant, and Shawn and I get up. I hug everyone in the Mendes family including Shawn, thanking them for joining us and saying goodnight. As they leave to their car and we go into ours, all I can think about is Shawn.

Just as I'm staring out the window I feel my heart skip a beat, as I finally remember eighth grade, when Shawn and I were sitting in a treehouse and talking about our biggest fears.

His was rejection.