Chapter Twenty-Five

To be completely honest, I got tired of flirting with every guy I spoke to. I stopped after the tenth person, but Shawn continued. I gave him strange looks, to show that it was over, and ask why he was still doing this, but he shrugged.

He didn't know what I was talking about. Which meant that this whole time he was flirting with girls, not for the sake of the competition, but because he felt like it.

"I'm going to get some fresh air." I say, tears threatening to come. But I wasn't going to cry in front of all these people. Instead I walked away, ignoring Shawn's calls. The moment that I exited the building I walked quickly towards the hill near it, where a single tree sat at the top. (one tree hill get it haha ok gtg)

I sat next to the tree, pulled my mask off, and took a few deep breaths of the cool air, trying my best to calm down. I could catch a ride with April, but that would ruin her night with Isaac, and I wouldn't do that to her. Instead of thinking about how I was going to get home I just shut my eyes, and pointed my head towards the sky, trying my best not to cry.

Why did I care so much? So what, let him flirt with who he wants. I did fine without him and I could do it again. I was going to ignore Shawn Mendes, and never speak to him again.

"Ari! Are you okay? What's going on?"

So much for that plan.

"Just leave me alone, Shawn. You've done enough." I say, and press my eyelids so that I wouldn't cry in front of him.

"Seriously, just tell me. What did I even do?" Shawn asks, and I feat my whole body heat up. He didn't know what he was doing? Are you kidding me? As I feel like my head is about to explode, I burst.

"Are you actually that dumb?! Or maybe it's me that's been stupid this whole time. I don't know why I listened to April in the first place, she was wrong. You're just as much of an idiot as the rest of them. I mean, here I am, actually opening up to someone that I told myself I would never speak to again when I was like, twelve. And what does that do to me, nothing. So I'm just going to stop with all of this garbage drama and just flat out say it." I take a deep breath before starting up again, not making eye contact with Shawn.

"I like you Shawn. And not as a friend. Yeah, I get it, you think we're friends or whatever. You've said it over a hundred times, and each time is another stab in the heart. But whatever, I'm still telling you all this. Do I care that you're going to walk away after this and never speak to me again? No, not really. I'm already screwed enough as it is. And believe me, I've tried telling myself don't have a crush on the famous singer, who meets models and pretty girls on the daily. I've told myself so many times, but it doesn't work." By now tears were spilling down my cheeks, but I didn't care, I was a mess, and nothing I was about to say would help.

"Oh, and I'm done playing that on and off game with you, Shawn." I continue, my hands shaking. "I'm done with thinking that you just flirted with me, and then you wrap your arm around me and call your old fucking chum. I'm done with all of that. I didn't a lot better without you, and I realize that now. I realize the more I stare at you the more screwed I am, so I'm going to stay away from you. I'm never speaking to you again, Shawn Mendes, and I hope you know that. If you ever come up to speak to me it better be because someone is dying, or I'll give you the bird and walk away." I tell myself to finally shut up, knowing I would regret all of this in the morning.

This was a mess. I was supposed to come here and have a fun time, but instead I was crying under a tree, and Shawn was silent.

"Ari?" Shawn finally asks, although it's more in a whisper. I turn to face him, and wipe the tears off my face as we make eye contact.

"You're probably going to hate me for this, and I'm sorry. But I need to do this before you stop speaking to me forever."

And then we were kissing.

I don't know every detail. There weren't fireworks in the sky, but my heart was racing out of my chest when he pressed his lips to mine, and after a few seconds of being stunned I came back to life and kissed back.

I never wanted to stop, that was for sure. But we finally let go before smashing our lips back together again, electricity flowing throughout our bodies.  However we disconnected, and I couldn't stop myself from smiling. Shawn did the same, and I rested my head on his shoulder, playing with his hand.

"Remember the night where we went out to eat, and I spoke about my biggest fear?" He says softly, and I nod, waiting for him to continue. "It's rejection. Because honestly, I've had a crush on you since third grade, Arabella Stone. But it looked like you didn't feel the same, so tried to force myself to think something else, that we were just friends. But when you started flirting with all those guys it hurt me so much, not to mention at The Twist went I thought I saw you making out with Devin. So yeah, I kind of like you more than I like muffins, Ari." I cant help but grin, and hug him.

"That's a good thing, Shawn, because I like you too. A lot."

I feel a huge weight off my chest, and take a deep breath before sighing. Shawn and I stil underneath the stars, silently, neither of us wanting to go back into the building with everyone else. And I didn't mind either, because all I wanted to do was be with Shawn right now. Holding his hand I noticed that nothing else mattered besides this moment. Not my reputation, or Shawn's fame. Just both of our hearts beating and our hands holding each other.

you're welcome losers