Chapter Thirteen

After seeing that movie, I can assure everyone that I'm never going into a forest again.

"The ending was just- Ah! I swear, I felt like I was going to throw my Sour Patch Kids at the screen, but that would be a waste." I watch as April freaks out, and look up at the sky to notice that the clouds were getting dark.

"Is it supposed to rain?" I ask, and April shakes her head.

"I doubt it. Hey I gotta go to dance lessons, see you guys!" I raise my eyebrows at April, until I realize what she was doing. She didn't have dance lessons today, and was planning on walking home by herself to get Shawn and I alone.

"I thought we were going to the Dollar Store to get ready for The Twist." The Twist was the biggest party of the year, and Trevor (a kid at school) hosted it. Everyone went to it, and it was apparently a mix of every holiday, from New Year to Christmas and everything in between. Of course, this party wasn't for middle aged men or fifth graders. And April finally convinced me to go.

"Sorry, we can reschedule. You're going, right Shawn?" I watch as he nods, and smile at him once we make eye contact.

"Alright, well I'll see you guys Saturday, I'm stuck at Grandma's for a few days, and I can't stay with Bella like always. Bye!" We both wave as she walks away, making a heart with her hand when Shawn isn't looking.

April was a third grader at heart.

"So, what do you want to do?" I ask Shawn, and he shrugs, before his eyes light up and he smiles.

"Remember the park we always went to?" I nod, and he continues, "let's go. It's only a few minutes away, and what's the rush?"

I shrug, and look down. Looking up to him with puppy eyes, I pout.

"I don't know, it's pretty far. I don't think we should go."

His eyes widen, and then his face softens. "Yeah, sure. We don't have to. It's okay." Now was my time. I gasp and point behind him, causing Shawn to turn around rapidly and check to see what I was staring at. Then, with his back turned, I begin to sprint towards the park.

"Last one there has to pay the other five bucks!" I yell, not pausing to tell him. Soon enough I here footsteps behind me and quicken my pace, because I had two dollars in my pocket.

Finally I reach the empty park, and yell in happiness before turning around and not seeing Shawn behind me.

"Oh no." I say, and pull out my phone to call him. When he doesn't answer, I call April, in need of advice. Shawn was almost as fast as me, and he probably got lost. Just like Shawn, April doesn't answer her phone.

"April, hey. I raced Shawn and thought that he would be right behind me, okay? I don't see him anywhere, and he's not answering his phone. Oh gosh, I shouldn't have done that, he might not remember the area that well. What if he got kidnapped? Never mind, that probably didn't happen. Okay, I'm going to go look for him, and hope the kidnapped doesn't come for me. Bye." I shove my phone in my pocket, and take a deep breath.

Before I can take one step I feel arms wrapped around my waist, and scream. I don't look back before lifting my leg up and kicking the person in the groin. I hear a moan and gasp at the familiar voice before turning around.

"Shawn! Are you okay?" I watch as he drops to the floor and sit down next to him.

"That hurt." I roll my eyes, knowing that he was over exaggerating.

"You gave me a heart attack. Not to mention I thought you got kidnapped or lost." He gets up and smiles at me, causing me to smile as well.

"I didn't know you cared about me that much!" I groan as he squeezes me in a hug, and shrug, still wrapped in his arms.

"Hilarious. How did you even get here so fast?" I ask, changing the subject. Shawn lets go of me and points to the bushes.

"Shortcut." Of course.

We begin to talk, and I can't help but smile the whole time. When you spoke to Shawn, it was almost impossible to feel sad. His voice itself was a melody that I wouldn't mind listening to all day.

However his story is interrupted when we both feel a raindrop hit our heads.

"Shoot. We should get back home." I say, and the rain falls faster and harder. By the time were both standing Shawn's hair is soaking wet, and I realize that we were going to have to wait out the rain. Shawn knows this too, because soon he's pulling me towards the playhouse.

Finally we get inside of it, with just enough room for both of us. I watch as he shuts the windows, then sitting next to me and stare at the wall, listening to the rain.

"So, you find yourself in playhouses with a girl a lot of times?" I ask jokingly, and he gives me a smile.

"No, you're the first one. Feel special?" I shrug, and stay quiet before answering him.

"Slightly. I mean, I get to be in the same room as the Shawn Mendes. I mean, oh-em-gee, he's literally my favorite!" I say, mocking some of the girls at my school.

"Yas! I love him! Isn't he the cutest?!"

"Definitely! I'd sell my soul to meet him!"

"Ari?" I look over to Shawn to see what he wants, and notice he has a smile on his face.

"You just called me the cutest."

"Shawn?" I ask, and he raises his eyebrows, waiting for me to continue.

"Shut up."

We stay quiet for a while, and I yawn, my eyelids drooping. "Shawn, would it be weird if I fell asleep right now and used your lap as a pillow?" I ask, and he shakes his head.

"I'll wake you up when the rain stops."

"This is why you're my favorite." I lay down and rest my head on his lap, shutting my eyes. He begins to play with my hair, and I stay up for a ten minutes longer, enjoying the fact his hands were running through my hair. Right before I completely pass out, I hear Shawn mumble something that I wasn't sure how to take.

"You're my favorite too, and I wish you knew that."