Chapter Twenty-Two

A week had passed, leaving seven days before The Summer Dance, and believe me when I say it was all anyone was talking about. From the jocks to the theater kids, and even the athletes, everyone was going to this dance. Most people were already prepared for it, waiting for the moment. In fact, a bunch of kids took it way more serious than prom or homecoming, which kind of shocked me. At this time everyone was either running out to buy an outfit or talking about the dance with their friends.

We were playing charades.

"Crying? Dancing? Okay, woah, that's not pg."

April rolls her eyes as Shawn chuckles. "I'm singing, you idiot. You're all terrible guessers."

"You're just a terrible actress." I fire back, and stand up, ready for my turn. The word on my paper was "eating", and Shawn guessed it instantly.

When Shawn was up he thought for a moment before grabbing me and linking our arms together.

"Married? Dating? In love?" April asks, and after her third guess Shawn told her.

"Friends, smarty."

"If the word was friends, then why did you grab Bella?" April asks, thinking out loud. Honestly, I was kind of tired with all the friend zoning, and just went along with it or stayed silent. Shawn was a confusing person, and I was too tired to figure him out.

"It's your turn." I say, and April shakes her head.

"You guys don't appreciate my art, so I'm done playing charades. But you know what we should do? Have a picnic. I'll start cutting the watermelon, Shawn makes the sandwiches, and Ari makes her delicious vanilla milkshake." April commands, and before we can react she gets up and walks to my fridge, grabbing a watermelon. Shawn and I make eye contact for a moment and I shrug, then joining April in the kitchen to make my milkshakes.

After I'm done with the drinks I notice I'm first to finish, so I rush upstairs and find the picnic basket, bringing it with me. Knowing we were probably going to be at the park a few minutes away, I grab my sunglasses, because the sun was shining today and I'd rather not be blinded by it.

"I'm ready to have to best picnic of the decade, what about you?" April asks, holding the basket and a milkshake. We all agree with her and walk over to the park that was about two minutes away and sit at the table there. April places the basket down and I watch as Shawn sips from his milkshake in joy.

We begin to eat, pulling out sandwiches and watermelon from the basket. I reach into there and gasp when I feel a container.

"Cookies!" I yell, ignoring the look I got from the middle-aged mother, with a haircut that clearly stated, "Touch my kids and I'll sue you."

We all reach for one an I open the box, and shove it into our mouths as fast as humanly possible. I can't help but laugh at the crumbs all over Shawn's face, and I can only laugh harder when he drinks from his milkshake, leaving a milk mustache in place.

"Well I think we can all call this picnic a success." I say, biting into my sandwich as everyone agrees.

"You're welcome for my amazingly pure idea, guys." April says jokingly, and I smile.

We put the containers, cups, and wrappers away, then continuing to just sit there and talk to each other before getting up and heading back home. April and I get a text at the same time from the group chat, talking about some rumors, and for once in my life, I didn't really care.

I stuff my phone in my pocket, not replying to the messages. We finally reach back home and for a moment I'm not sure what to do next, before I grin mischievously and rush to the TV.

"Hey guys, remember that play we did in sixth grade?" I say, and I already see their eyes widen.

"Please don't." Shawn says, but I already placed the CD in and turned on the TV. I had nothing to worry about, unlike the others. I had one line in that play, and April had a huge part while Shawn was the lead male role.

"Its fetus Shawn!" I yell pointing at the TV. We had turned the play on and were currently watching it. Well, it was actually more of just me watching it. April and Shawn had their eyes shut most of he timing pure embarrassment.

When it reaches my line I watch as Shawn and April clap.

"A true inspirational actress!" April yells, and Shawn nods his head in agreement.

"Where's your award collection. Oh man, I can't believe I'm hanging out with a real celebrity." Shawn says, and I scoff. Coming from him, really?

"Well it used to be in my closet, but the awards just kept coming so now my whole room is filled with the awards, and I sleep on the floor." I reply, and I see April wipe a fake tear.

"Its amazing what risks you have to take to become who you are today."

I nod and turn my head back to the TV, watching as Shawn sits in the corner of the stage and the light shines on him only.

His solo.

Shawn recognizes the scene immediately and starts to stand up before I grab his hand and pull him down back on the chair, as fetus Shawn starts to sing.

"You've got vocals!" April says, and I give a thumbs up.

"Was this a bonus track on Handwritten?" I ask, and he gives me a look that says "I hate you haha just kidding but no I actually do hate you." And I smile, giving him a peace sign.

Too soon the solo is over, along with the rest of the play. Both April and Shawn have to go, and I wave goodbye as they walk out the door.

As I walk back over to the TV I hear a buzzing sound and turn to the couch to see Shawn's phone laying there. Curiously, I pick it up and see a text from Andrew his manager. I don't bother reading it and almost set the phone down before I see a text under it, from April.

April:
Seriously? You guys have known each other since pre-K, how could you hate her? She may be a witch but she has feelings.

I drop the phone and stare blankly for a few moments before going into my room and locking the door.