Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Hey Fizzy" Randy the bar manager checked me in for work.

"Hey Rocko, how's business been today?" I asked as I pulled my locker open and shoved my bag inside.

"There was a drunk fight today took twenty minutes to break it up. One guy was almost unconscious."

"Wow you guys really get on without me don't you?!" I joked sarcasm dripping from every syllable.

"Your working on the bar today chicky ... And don't forget to smile at the guys!" He said as he pinched my cheeks. I smiled and then left through the staff entrance door and bee lined toward the bar.

Sapphire and Twinkle were working at the bar with me tonight.

Although I didn't have any friends I tried to be friendly. "Hey Saph and Twinkle, how have you been?"

"Yea ok I guess ... That fight was probably the best thriller I've had all year!" Saph said sidling over to give me a hug. As she hugged me she whispered in my ear so Twinkle couldn't hear

"Have you been ok lately?" I could hear the gentleness in her voice. I nodded into her shoulder and then we all got back to work.

I mixed a drink for a guy in his late 30's and watched him disappear with it into the crowd tipping half of it all over himself as he got off of the bar stool.

Several hours of mixing drinks, standing in heels and helping drunk men later I had $45 dollars worth of tips.

Saying goodbye to the girls and Rocko I left for home, heels in hand thinking of how much easier keeping afloat financially would be if my family wanted to support me. I stopped thinking willing my thoughts not to go any further. Tears evident in my eyes I went home changed into the fluffiest pair of pyjamas I owned and fell asleep.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

Walking into Jims Food Haven I saw that my cousin Johno was already behind the counter checking the cash in the till.

I walked over to him and saw that he was almost done.

"Hey Johno"

"Hey Meghan ... Is it still alright with your mum if i come over to yours to clean tomorrow?"

"Yea I will probably be sleeping but if I'm not I can help."

"Well (he said with a smile) we better get ready for the first customers don't you think? And I definitely know that I need a coffee!"

We gave each other a cheeky grin and ran into the back room. I had just about reached the coffee machine when a pair of strong hands grabbed my waist and pinned me to the floor. Sitting on top of me he pinned my arms to the ground above my head, then leaning in close to my ear he whispered "Don't even try it sweetheart ... You know what happens if you do!"

He didn't have to say anything more. Both of our eyes shifted from each other's, to his hands, my sides and the coffee machine. "Ok ok" I sighed "just let me get up please!"

He gave me a weary look and then started to rise. As his hands left mine I sprang and rolled him over, now holding his hands. I sat on top of him just like he did to me. He looked startled and a bit afraid of the smirk ever so present on my face.

"What will you do huh?" I gave him a mischievous grin. Before he could reply I let go of his hands in an instant and started tickling his sides. In that split second of me letting go of his hands and tickling his sides, I saw his eyes recognise my smirk and grin. His face dropped just as I tickled him and his face turned slightly red. Not really thinking my plan through well enough he pulled his hands up and started tickling me wildly.

Although I was still tickling him I crumpled and fell on top of him immediately. I didn't give up tickling him until his sense kicked back in and he rolled over pinning me and my hands back on the floor, still tickling me. He didn't stop until I cried out for him to. He actually let me up this time but he touched the coffee machine before I could.

"Aww looks like Meghan is on mopping duty tonight after shift!" He gave me a very mischievous pout and started to make some coffee.

I went out front just as the first customer walked in and the bell on the door chimed. I yelled her order back to Johno and started setting up tables. In the middle of my shift a cute little girl came in with her family. She looked so cheery and bubbly and in the that moment I wished I could still be myself, my cheery, bubbly, happy, no care in the world self.

At the end of my shift I was exhausted to say the least. Three others girls had been working the same shift as me, but two of them never did what they were supposed to be doing. They never did there job properly that often that on their 5th shift the were put permanently on cleaning duty. The third girl Lucinda walked up to me just as I was about to clock off. I didn't have a shift at the bar tonight so I was just going to stay late and wait for Johno. Suddenly Lucinda turned and handed me a slip of paper from her order pad.

"Booth ten wants you specifically to take him his order ... Don't ask me why but he has been sitting there watching you for six hours!"

I simply nodded at her and went to fill the order. Six hours? Who would wait that long?! I was stunned he was all stalker-like but he looked warm and caring. Definitely not a stalkers m.o. I quickly made him his skim caramel latte and walked over to him. I placed his coffee in front of him and I was hoping, just hoping that I wouldn't have to talk to him.

"Hello Meghan is it? Please take a seat! My name is Richard and my employer would like to discuss a deal with you." He addressed me calmly and coolly.

Still stunned I just sat in silence and waited for him to speak. Not one for awkward silence I went to break it but thankfully Richard opened his mouth and started talking.

"Mr. McIntyne would like to make a business proposition with you." He noted calmly, while meanwhile I was having a panic attack (well almost) as I didn't know this guy.

"All details of the proposition is one this flyer as well as the pay you will be receiving if you choose to take the job, the job however he would like to tell you himself."

"If you would like to know more about the proportion and meet Mr. McIntyne who could become your boss, please meet him at the bakery down Fall Lane across from the inn at 2pm. He will be in the back left hand corner booth. He will wait for exactly half an hour and then he shall be gone and looking for somebody else to fill the position."

"Wait ... So I just show up and he will know exactly who I am?" I was just wondering how this was going to work. I thought it was confusing but apparently it wasn't and I was just wasting further precious seconds of his time. His face darkened at this and he just nodded his head. He stood up, took his latte (that was still in its porcelain cup) and left. Seeing that he had left a $5 tip on the table as well as the money for the drink I picked the money up and continued my overtime.

his.i