<Jasper> A Boy Who Never Cries

Chapter 3

<Jasper Coven>

I stalk to my pick-up truck a few minutes after the bell and huff angrily as I get inside. My day sucked as usual and I just had to bite my tongue to keep myself from lashing out at everyone the way I had to this girl in my French class. I'm not even sure why I lashed out at her, but the way she said what she did got completely under my skin.

It was like she never had a problem a day in her life and for a guy with more problems than the average soap opera, it was infuriating. I get that she probably meant her comments to be taken lightly, but when your home is a life or death situation, there's really no time to take things any way except seriously.

I turn my key in the ignition and drive down the road towards the "redneck side of town", as it has been deemed by everyone with money and power in this town. I roll my eyes at the thought and pull into the dirt driveway of my dad's farm. Mark and David, my dad's cattle hands, give me a wave and a pitying look as I walk towards the front door with my backpack.

"What are my parents doing to each other now?" I mumble as I open the front door.

My question is answered the minute I walk through the door. My dad, with red eyes and slurred speech, is holding my mom in a chokehold. She has tears streaming down her face, but no sound escapes her lips as my dad tightens his hold on her. He shoves her a little harder against the wall, his face only an inch from hers.

"I told you to get me the whiskey, slut." My dad slurs in a gruff voice.

"And this is what happens when you try to take the alcohol away from the alcoholic." I think as I drop my bag.

"Get the hell off her!" I shout and race towards my dad, trying my hardest to pry his hands off my mom's neck.

He lets go and she drops to the floor with a loud thud. I tighten my grip on his wrists and shove him backwards, away from her. My grip loosens a little and my dad takes that as an opportunity to punch me hard in the jaw. I clutch it in pain and let out a low growl towards my father. My eyes darken as i nurse my mostly likely bruised jaw.

"You're not an animal, Jasper. Now go get me the whiskey." My dad chuckles as he sits down in the armchair by the fireplace.

"No," I turn around and walk towards my mother who's still lying on the floor.

I help her up and walk her to the kitchen. She gives me a grateful squeeze before taking a seat at the breakfast table. I notice two giant purple marks on her neck from where my father held her and tried to take the life from her. My hands shake as I hand her an ice pack and a glass of water.

"I'm sorry you had to see that, Jasper." My mom looks like she's having trouble speaking.

"No, I'm glad I came in when I did, otherwise you might be dead." My voice falters a little as I look at my mom's sad expression.

"He did love me at some point," She looks like she's about to cry.

"Mom, I'm sure he did, but now he loves the alcohol and the drugs more than he could ever love anything else." I mutter bitterly.

"Don't say that about him...He was a good man at some point." My mom's voice is small and pained.

"He almost killed you! How can you sit here and defend him, Mama?" I shout and give her an angry glare.

"It's complicated, Jasper. When I married him, I vowed to love him through the best and the worst. That's what I'm trying to do, love him and all his faults."