<Jasper> A Boy Who Doesn't Want to Remember

Chapter 11

<Jasper Coven>

It's Monday afternoon and I'm sitting in the back of my Human Anatomy class; a terrible mood brewing like a storm cloud over my head. I owe most of my bad mood to being back in the hell that is high school, but another part of it is confusion about what happened with Callie over the weekend. Why the hell would she want to be friends with me? Most people don't give me a second glance, but now Callie has decided to take a scary amount of interest in me; it's almost like having a second Ms. Evans on my case. I roll my eyes and pull out my notebook so, I can avoid the glares and whispers of the people in my class.

The bell rings and my teacher is about to begin class when there's a knock at the door. He walks towards it with a huff and opens it, the door slamming back a bit on its hinges. I look up when I hear him talk about finding a seat for the new student; I take special precaution to hide my face behind my notebook as he deliberates. My eyes lock sadly with the empty seat next to me, but thankfully, some guy a few rows ahead shoves his partner away in the hopes of getting the new student. The guy's rejected partner gives me a disgusted look and points at the empty lab seat with a grunt.

"I guess," I nod and watch as he grudgingly sits down next to me.

"Ms. Stevens, you can take the seat next to Mr. Arnold." My teacher mutters, causing me to look towards the front of the classroom.

A pair of annoyingly bright, blue eyes and a head of sunny blond hair bobs towards the lab table a few rows away from mine, but I hide behind my notebook before she notices me.

You've got to be kidding; she can't be in this class too.

"Hey," My new lab partner shoves me hard in the shoulder, his teeth gritted. "I have a few rules. I do all the work and you keep your mouth shut. I want an A in this class and your sorry ass isn't going to jeopardize that. Clear?"

"Crystal," I bite my lip and turn back to face Mr. Roberts.

Callie isn't my lab partner and my new one wants to do all the work? Score...

Callie's sunny blond hair is distracting me from a few rows away where he lab partner is sitting close to her, whispering things in her ear. I watch as her shoulders tense up and she turns around to hang her hoodie on the back of her chair. Sadly, I made the mistake of putting my notebook shield down, so she sees me. She smiles sweetly, the light reaching her eyes the way I've noticed it always does. 

I avert my gaze and pretend I didn't see her as I tap my pencil on my desk; the words of Mr. Roberts' lecture not reaching my ears. In my peripheral vision I see Callie spin back around in her chair, while her partner continues to scoot closer to her. She looks uncomfortable, but I attempt to pay no attention to her and instead focus on my lesson.

~~~~~

The bell rings after a grueling class and my lab partner mumbles goodbye, while I shove my notebooks into my bag, grabbing my lyric journal off the ground where I left it earlier. I rush out of the class and am almost halfway down the hallway when I hear someone calling my name.

"Jasper, wait up; some of us are cursed with short legs." Callie chuckles as she struggles to catch up with me.

I roll my eyes and think for a split second about going faster, but I decide to slow down, much against my own wishes.

"What could you possibly want?" I mutter gruffly.

"Is this about me wanting to be your friend?" Callie asks, most likely implying my blatant rejection of her from earlier.