<Callie> A Girl Who Just Wants to Talk

Chapter 6

<Callie Stevens>

"Callie, please tell me again why you had to apologize to him? He was the one being a jerk." Abigail exclaims as we walk out of our English class and make our way towards the cafeteria for lunch.

"I hated seeing him so upset over something I said." I say in a clear voice, hoping she'll realize that I'm done with the conversation.

"That's his problem, not yours. You can't be responsible when someone else becomes overdramatic." Abigail scoffs and dismisses me with a wave of her manicured hand.

"I just didn't want him to be mad."

He seemed upset enough at the train tracks yesterday.

"You need to grow a mean bone; otherwise people will walk all over you." Abigail shakes her head as we round the corner towards the cafeteria.

"But if I'm mean than no one will want to be around me." I chuckle as I run into something hard.

Geez, I am not the most observant person in the world, am I?

"Watch where you're going, little miss positivity." I hear a gruff voice say as they sidestep to avoid any more confrontation with me.

"I'm sorry," I say nicely as my eyes lock with a pair of blue ones.

They're cold and uncaring much like the rest of the boy's chiseled features.

"Yeah, whatever." He sighs as he looks over my head and begins to walk away.

I swear I'm only trying to be nice; why can't he just accept that?

"Asshole," Abigail coughs and I see the boy's hand clench into fists.

He turns around, fuming, and stalks back over to us, taut muscles and all.

"You think I don't hear you? You think I can't hear everyone whispering about me? Well, I do and I'd appreciate it if you'd just shut up. You have no idea what the hell I have to go through on a daily basis and even if you did, you wouldn't care. You don't know who I am and you have no right to talk about me the way you do. Do I make myself clear?" The boy's jaw clenches as he finishes his speech.

"Crystal," Abigail glares at him, the look full of fury since someone actually stood up to her.

The boy rolls his eyes and brushes right past me, his feet carrying him down the hallway and towards the front of the school. I give Abigail an apologetic look as I follow him slowly down the hallway. He reaches wherever he's going first and I slow my pace as his navy sweater comes back into view. He seated on the floor by the janitor's closet, a sandwich in one hand and a pencil in the other. He's scribbling something down in a notebook that's balanced on his lap. I slide down the wall next to him and for a few minutes he ignores my presence, an awkward silence ensuing.

"I don't know what made you think that you should sit next to me, but do us both a favor and ignore it next time; I prefer being alone. Don't you have a friend to get back to anyway?" He mutters without once looking up from his notebook.

Somebody needs to work on their people skills.

"I'm sorry she said those things about you; she shouldn't have talked behind your back like that." I say quietly, my eyes noticing a deep purple bruise on the boy's jawline.

"You know you can say asshole, right? It's not like it's the first time someone's called me that." The boy responds, his eyes leaving his notebook for one fleeting second. "And it won't be the last."