<Callie> A Girl Who Likes When Everyone Gets Along

Chapter 24

<Callie Stevens>

"Callie, can you get Henry ready? Otherwise we'll be late to the Christmas eve service." My mom calls from her room where I can see her trying to brush her hair and zip her dress at the same time.

"Yeah, mama; I'll get him ready." I reply with a smile and walk towards my baby brother's room.

Christmas is my favorite time of the year; it's the one time of the year when everyone seems to get along and be in a good mood.

"Henry, time to get ready." I coo and pick him up off the floor.

He looks forlornly at his trains as I cart him over to his bed where my mom set out his traditional Christmas outfit.

"Itchy." He mumbles and points at the Christmas tree sweater that's folded on top of his bedspread.

"It's only for a little bit of time, Henry." I sigh and pick it up.

He is right though; I wouldn't wear it even if someone paid me.

"No." He replies, crossing his little arms.

"Well, then I guess Jasper won't be playing trains with you."

"Oh, c'mon, Callie. Don't deprive him."

I turn around and find Jasper standing in the doorway wearing a button-up shirt, a pair of khakis and a grin.

"Your mom let me in." He explains as he walks towards us. "Now let's get this little squirt dressed."

Henry squeals and reaches out for Jasper. I hand him over and watch as Jasper gently sets him down on the bed.

"Little man, you need to be good for your sister; she's just trying to help you out." Jasper smiles at me as he helps Henry pull off his t-shirt.

"Itchy." Henry pouts and points towards the sweater Jasper is now holding in his hand.

"It's only itchy because it has magic in it." Jasper says without hesitation.

"No it doesn't." Henry replies and scrunches up his nose.

"Well, why else would your mama only let you wear it once a year?"

"I don't know." Henry says as if this thought had only crossed his mind just now.

"It's 'cause she doesn't want the magic to run out, little man." Jasper grins as Henry takes the sweater immediately from his outstretched hand.

Jasper helps Henry pull it over his head and then helps him tie up his little shoes.

"See? Can't you feel the magic?" Jasper asks my brother, his head tilted.

Henry nods vigorously and then exclaims that he has to go find his train tracks from downstairs.

"Who knew you were so good with kids?" I smirk as he gets up from my brother's bed.

"It's what my mama used to tell me when I didn't want to wear something. Worked like a charm every time." He chuckles and walks towards me.

He tucks a piece of hair behind my ear and leans in, his lips barely brushing mine. I let out a small breath and lock eyes with him as I set my hand on the small of his back. He closes the distance between us and holds me close. I hear the pitter-patter of little footsteps coming back up the stairs and I pull away from Jasper slowly.

"We wouldn't want to traumatize Henry." I whisper and hold Jasper's hand gently.

"Then I guess I'll have to take you out to dinner where we won't traumatize anyone." He smirks and rubs circles on the back of my hand.