<Callie> A Girl Who Wants Him to be Okay

Chapter 18

<Callie Stevens>

"Somebody looks happy." My mom comments as she puts a plate of roasted chicken and mashed potatoes down in front of me.

"I've just had a really good day." I say with a sly smile, my eyes trained on my dinner instead of my mom.

"Care to tell us why, sweetheart?" She presses and takes a seat in the chair across from me.

"Five bucks it has to do with a boy." My dad chuckles and takes a bite of mashed potato.

"I'm not going to take you up on that because my motherly instincts tell me that's true." My mom winks and continues to look at me, making me slightly uncomfortable.

"The sun was shining." I reply and tilt my head innocently.

"The sun was shining yesterday and you weren't this happy." My mom comments, a smirk playing on her lips.

"Maybe it has to do with a boy." I say coyly and push my green beans around with my fork.

"Well, that didn't take half as long as I thought it would." My mom exclaims with mock disbelief.

"What's his name?" My dad chuckles and pushes my shoulder a little.

"Jasper," I sigh and take a bite of green beans.

"I knew it!" My mom cheers and high-fives my dad.

"If you two are done," I roll my eyes and look at them.

"We are." My mom nods while my dad finishes laughing.

"He asked me to go to a movie with him on Saturday." I say and bite my lip, waiting patiently for their reactions.

"That's great, sweetie." My mom smiles and pats my hand.

"Are we gonna get to meet him?" My dad asks in a suddenly serious voice.

"Of course." I sigh and look at my dad. "No need to get overprotective."

"It's kind of in the job description, honey." He ruffles my hair and then we all go back to eating.

~~~~~

I'm sitting at my usual spot in French class as the warning bell rings for everyone to get to class. Jasper's seat is still empty and Abigail is still mad at me over calling her out last week. I tap my pencil on the edge of my desk and watch as the minutes tick by, my time until the start of class dwindling. The seats continue to fill up all around me, but Jasper's remains alarmingly vacant. The bell rings and Mr. Klein closes the door, ready to begin his class. I turn around and look at Jasper's chair, half-expecting him to be sitting there, hidden behind one of his torn-up notebooks.

"Alors, on y va commencer la classe. Sortez votre devoirs et un stylo de couleur." Mr. Klein says in his thick accent as the sounds of paper shuffling fill the once silent environment.

He walks up and down the rows of students, verifying that people have done their homework and reprimanding those who were too 'lazy' to do the worksheet. He passes by my desk and puts a checkmark in his gradebook next to my name. I chew on the end of my pen as I wait for my teacher to begin correcting the worksheet.

"Qui est absente aujourd'hui?" Mr. Klein asks; the class remains silent.

Those few seconds of silence are when I realize that I'm the only who notices Jasper's absence.

"Personne?" He raises an eyebrow and looks around the classroom.

I raise my hand, disgust for my entire class mounting in the pit of my stomach.