<Callie> A Girl Who's Finally Getting Through to Him

Chapter 14

<Callie Stevens>

The first thing I notice about Jasper's car is that it smells exactly like his house; a mixture of alcohol and smoke. He's staring dead-ahead, his blue eyes focused on the road ahead of us that's being washed away by the rain. I cough awkwardly and try to break the silence, but I'm not exactly sure what to say. I was surprised when he asked me if I wanted a ride; based on the way he's acted around me up until now, this circumstance never would've crossed my mind in a million years. I watch his profile for a few more seconds.

His jawline is discolored; an evil bruise tainting his otherwise clear skin. His eyes are still piercing and cold, but one of them is clothed in shades of purple and green; a reminder of what his father is willing to put him through just for standing up for what's right. Jasper's face is a mystery and a contradiction; I could sit here all day, staring at it, and that still wouldn't be enough time to unravel the layers that hold it together.

"Callie, will you please quit starin' at me? It's a little uncomfortable." Jasper says and side-eyes me with his one good eye.

"I'm sorry."

"This silence is irritating." He turns to face me as we come to a stoplight; the red shining through the smeared glass of the windshield. "You're usually jumping at a chance to have a conversation."

He looks at me curiously, as if he thinks there's suddenly something wrong with me.

"I'm not really sure what to say..." my voice trails off as the light changes and he begins to drive again.

"Well, I can tell you what not to say." He begins, his hands gripping the steering wheel tightly. "Don't bring up my dad; I don't want to talk about him and I don't think you want to either. Let's not talk about school because we both know that that place is a living hell..."

"You're not leaving much to talk about then." I say with a small smile.

"You're intelligent; I'm sure you'll come up with something."

"I think this is the most you've ever said to me in a conversation."

Jasper rolls his eyes and gestures for me to begin talking.

"Well, I moved here after living in California for my entire life."

"I'm sure this is quite the adjustment." Jasper chuckles, a small dimple appearing in his cheek before disappearing as quickly as it came.

"I like it better down here; it's more easy-going." I tap my fingers on the dashboard as I try to think of the right words to carry on with.

"I wouldn't know; this is the only place I've ever been forced to call home."

The car goes silent once again, rain beating down on the roof as we continue to drive; where, I do not know. After a few minutes Jasper breaks the silence.

"I'm sorry I'm such a downer." He mutters without looking at me. "I can't help it; I guess that's why no one wants to be around me."

"I thought you said it was easier to be alone." I look at him curiously, my fingers vibrating with the feeling that I'm onto something.

He gives me a quick look before turning back to the road.

"No matter what I say, Callie, being alone sucks."

"Well, I'm not going to let you be alone anymore." I whisper and set my hand softly on his shoulder.

"I don't doubt that." He says, a small smile passing briefly over his lips. "So, where exactly do you live?"