<Callie> A Girl Who Doesn't Want Things to End This Way

Chapter 26

<Callie Stevens>

It's been a few days since I've heard from Jasper; I'm not worried exactly, but every time I think about him, I get a foreboding feeling in the pit of my stomach. I heard that he was staying with Mrs. Arthurs, a retired policewoman on the other side of town, for the holidays. I thought it was odd that he didn't stay in his house what with his dad in jail and all, but I guess the house probably had too many bad memories to be very cheery at Christmas time. I tried to call him a few times, but it went straight to voicemail as if he never turned his phone on. It's didn't make me mad or anything, just more curious as to what's going on.

I'm currently helping my mom force Henry into some new clothes he got for Christmas, which is probably the most painful task on the planet. Henry is bored and it's nearing his naptime, which makes him unreasonably grumpy. There's also the fact that he got a new train set for Christmas and mom won't let him play with it until he tries on all the clothes people sent him. He's pouting and I can tell that there's a tantrum bubbling just below the surface. I hold in a deep breath while my mom pulls yet another sweater over his little head. He crosses his arms and that's my cue to exit before he gives me another reason to not want to have kids.

I pull out my phone as I walk down the hallway towards my room and am disappointed to find no new messages or missed phone calls. I sigh and plop down on my plush comforter. I stare at the picture of him on my nightstand; it was taken on Halloween while we were walking Henry around trick-or-treating. A smile spreads across my lips as I run my finger along the edge of the picture frame. My phone begins ringing in my lap and I pick up immediately. Sadly, it's just an advertiser and I hang up slowly, dread filling every crevice in my body. Things aren't going to continue on like this; he's not going to freeze me out.

I stand up and walk down stairs, grabbing the car keys and calling out to my parents to tell them where I'm going. My dad responds and then I walk out the front door to the SUV. I slip into the front seat and back out slowly before pulling onto the main road towards the other side of town. After talking to a few store clerks and some other people around town, I finally find Mrs. Arthurs house and sure enough, Jasper is sitting on the front porch scribbling in his tattered notebook. I take the keys out of the ignition and draw in a deep breath. Dear Lord, please don't let me screw this up. Amen...

I get out of the car and walk quietly up the front steps before going to sit in front of Jasper. He doesn't look up, but I know he's aware of my presence. I bite my lip and try to think of the right words to say without having all of my pent-up frustration come spilling out. I exhale slowly, but Jasper beats me to talking first.

"I'm really not in the mood, Callie." He says without looking up.

"Not in the mood for what? For talking?" I say, my tone much more bitter than I thought it would be. "I'm aware. I haven't heard from you in days."

"Sorry." He says in a quick, biting tone.

"For what? I didn't ask for an apology, Jasper, I just wanna know why you haven't called in a few days." I say, fighting to keep my emotions out of my voice.

"Sometimes people get busy, Callie."

"You're trying to freeze me out, Jasper."

"I'm not trying to do anything."

"You're trying to shut me out like you did before."

"I'm not trying to do anything." He reiterates, his eyes still trained on his notebook.

"Jasper, please don't do this to me."

"You have no right to tell me what I can and can't do. Okay?" He snaps, finally looking at me; his eyes are red and puffy.