<Jasper> A Boy Who's Ready to Forgive

Chapter 29

<Jasper Coven>

"Mama," I call out as I walk in the front door of my house after dropping Callie at hers.

"In here, Jasper." My mom calls and I follow her voice to the kitchen.

"Where is he?" I ask, looking around for any sign of my father.

"If by 'he' you mean your father, then he's supposedly out in the barn feeding the horses, but one of his friends stopped by, so I don't that's going very well." My mom sighs and continues to peel potatoes.

If by friend she means the druggies who bring him bags of the hardcore stuff, then this night isn't going to end well.

"You remember the guy who you met at church a few weeks ago?"

"Mr. Tier?" She says as she sets her potato down. "Yes, I do."

"He called and said that I got the record deal." I exclaim and she squeals as she pulls me into a hug.

"That's amazing, baby, I'm so proud of you!" She kisses my cheek and hugs me tighter. "Charlie would be proud too."

I nod and bury my face in her neck. Charlie, I wish you could be here right now.

"Oh, baby, I'm so happy." My mom says as she releases me. "When do you have to be in L.A. by?"

"Mr. Tier said he's sending a plane ticket, so whatever date is on that plane ticket is when I leave, I guess; he said it'd be like a week from now."

"I'm so proud of you, Jasper, so, so proud."

My mom looks like she's on the verge of tears as she smooths my overgrown blonde hair.

"Are you gonna be okay here without me, mama?" I ask quietly as I pull her close to me.

"Of course, baby, I'm gonna be just fine here. You need to do this." She whispers and kisses my forehead.

I nod and release her as I go upstairs to pack my stuff.

~~~~~

There's rain beating down on the roof and Callie is laying on my bed as I toss sweatshirt after sweatshirt into an open duffle bag on the floor. She's smiling as she watches me, her gaze soft and kind. She pushes herself up on her elbows and intercepts the next sweatshirt I try to toss into the duffle bag.

"Jasper, you do realize it's never going to get below 70 degrees where you're going?" She smirks and smooths the sweatshirt in her lap.

"I wear them in Texas and I'm still livin'." I wink and make a move for the sweatshirt, but she moves and soon enough I'm on top of her.

She wiggles her eyebrows as if she's challenging me to make another move for the sweatshirt. I don't and brace my arm against the bed as I stare into her eyes, instead. Callie brushes some hair out of my eyes and then I place my lips on hers. She wraps her arms around my waist and pulls our bodies closer together. I continue to kiss her as if this is the last time I'm ever going to see her. When we release, she lets her hand linger on my cheek.

"I'm going to miss you so much, but you need to do this, Jasper." She murmurs. "I'm always gonna be waiting here for you when you come back home."

"I love you, Callie, please don't ever forget that." I say as I stand up and rub the back of my neck.

"I won't." She smiles softly and slips my sweatshirt over her head. "And I'm keeping this."

"You look better in it than I ever did." I nod in approval.