Chapter 7

Peter walked out into the snow covered backyard. A cold chill brushed against his skin, but not feeling it on his left arm made him a bit nervous. He tried to get used to the new arm as much as he could, but it had only been one day. Bruce told him to give it time, but time was never on their side. He flexed his metal fingers slowly and cringed. The cold made flexing worse and made the metal cold to the touch.

He put red gloves on so he would stop looking at his arm. Self conscious thoughts crossed his mind a few times and all he wanted to do was hide it. Showing the kids the arm earlier was needed because they helped design it. It would have been rude to hide it from them.

Peter's brown eyes scanned the area; a small smile lifted the corners of his lips. Kids played basketball on the snow covered court. They trudged through the snow and tried to be faster than the other team. Other students sat on the benches and talked. The last majority of the students were having snowball fights or building snowmen. Peter noticed a few kids forming a circle on the side of all the events. He eyed them for a few seconds and frowned when he realized what was going on.

A girl grabbed a taller boy by the collar and brought him down to her level forcefully. She spat in his face and yelled about something incomprehensible. The boy's eyes widened and he tried to back up, but she pulled him closer and got ready to punch him.

Peter immediately ran over and tried to intervene. He stopped a few feet behind them and questioned, "Really? We're resorting to this level of immaturity?"

The girl turned around slightly to look at Peter. Her golden eyes glared at him as the wind brushed her dark hair out of her face. She emphasized, "Stay out of this. It isn't any of your business."

Peter held his gaze and didn't stand down. He's been through this multiple times before. He wasn't going to stand by while some innocent kid got picked on. He reasoned with her, "Put the kid down. You're are better than this."

She scoffed and looked back at the tall boy. "Not until he gives back what's rightfully mine. He owes me money."

"I really don't want to report you to the Professor. For all I know, you're probably a smart kid. You should know better than this," Peter declared. He stepped a little closer to her to calm her down. The girl didn't pay attention and outright punched the boy. The boy was knocked backwards, clutching his bleeding nose and falling to the ground.

Before Peter knew it, he threw webbing at her hands and tugged her towards him. Trying to lay low didn't seem to matter now. There was only one webslinger out there. He internally yelled at himself for it and he sighed. "Don't make me drag you there." She eyed him carefully, but nodded. Peter kept her hands wrapped up and let go of his grip on the web. She grouchily walked towards the building. Peter called after her, "If I don't see you in the Professor's office when I get there, I'll make sure the penalty is greater than it would be." Peter went over to the boy and helped him up. "What's your name?"

The boy clutched his nose with one hand and took a tissue out of his pocket to wipe up the mess. His voice sounded muffled and higher pitched since he pinched his nose shut, "Jake. Jake Porter." Jake's short, spikey black hair appeared frozen and stiff. His blazingly blue eyes peered at all of the blood and almost began to hurl.

Peter looked at Jake sympathetically. He remembered what it felt like to be like that. "Do you really owe her money?"

Jake shook his head and cleared up the situation, "I didn't help her with her project and she wanted money out of me. She got a decent grade, but it wouldn't pull her overall grade up to a B." He shrugged and stopped his nose from bleeding.

Peter glanced over at me. I had just watched the whole scenario go down as I stood at the back porch. If I would've gotten there earlier, I would've helped. He waved me over and I met up with him. He motioned to me and spoke to Jake, "My friend can teach you a few things about defense if you want."