Chapter 19

AN: Dedicated to @xdeaddancerkayx for all the votes! Hope you are enjoying it so far. Thank you :D

This battle wasn't like any of the others Steve had encountered.

Multiple super humans, alien beings, and gods? The odds against the heroes were great, but with the X-Men here, they had a chance to win. Or at least...he hoped they would win.

Lilly had raved about these people. Steve didn't doubt her. Not by a long shot. He was sure they were great people, but great fighters? That was yet to be seen. They were mostly in the dark. Mysterious. Not too trusting. He couldn't blame them, since most of the world had seen mutants in a bad light.

Steve curled his free hand into a fist. The world would see all of them in a new light. From vigilantes to this...rebels. They were rebelling against a dictator who ruled with fear. Rebellions are built on hope. Lilly had uttered those words to him earlier during the flight to DC. That sentence was so true that Steve felt it in his bones. His whole life had been built on hope. Hope things would get better. Hope that Hitler would be taken down. Hope that he'd do something right for his country. Hope that after he came back, it would all get better. Now, he was just hoping for a win. To make it out alive. To fix a country that had spiraled out of control.

Now was the time.

The heroes clashed with the villains. Everyone had broken off into groups, fighting their own enemies. Steve, Tony, and Storm took on one of the most difficult fighters. Loki. The so-called King had seen better days. His appearance was ghostly, and the only thing that stood out were his blazing blue eyes. His dark hair was full of sweat and gel, standing out on end like a mad man. His helmet and armor were near pristine, give or take the few blood splotches. Loki shot at Tony, who was flying in the air and avoiding each shot. Storm went in for hand-to-hand combat, since she didn't want to distract or hurt any of the other heroes with her powers.

He stared into the eyes of Ira, who was just a few feet away. They had been fighting for a half hour, but neither of them could get the advantage. They were equally matched, mostly because of Ira's power of self detonation. Steve had become hesitant to stay close to her for too long. With his fight skills, he could have easily taken her. Yet, such a simple power changed the terms of battle.

Sweat trickled down his temple, away from his damp hair. Even in the cold snow, he had worked up a sweat. He held firmly onto his shield and stood readily, awaiting her next move. Come on.

Ira watched him carefully, taking in his every move. He had a combat pattern, but she couldn't figure out what it was. She licked her lips and tightened her grasp on her broad sword. She listened in on her surroundings, but failed to focus because her ears burned with such an intensity. The cold around her started to gnaw at her light purple skin. Anger boiled up inside her. Loki had worked hard making his way up the political ladder. Now, the heroes were here to take what was rightfully Loki's.

This she could not allow.

With a loud war cry, Ira surged forward. Her broad sword clashed with Cap's shield, creating an ear-piercing sound. She swung, and swung again, each time with more force than the last. Cap blocked her moves effortlessly. He backed away after every few moves, just in case she were to get angry enough and self detonate.

The other sounds of the battlefield passed through Steve's ears. The cries of pain. The anger. The fear. The hearts that were about to be broken. Bombs booming along the earth. Guns firing every other second. Different ranges of sounds came from powers that were being used by the X-Men. There was angry spouting from the villains. Quirky jokes and banter between the heroes. None of this distracted Steve from his mission.