Chapter 18

AN: This chapter is dedicated to @AbbieGriffen for voting so much! Thank you.

This was it.

Day seven.

I didn't think it would come fast enough.

All of the heroes were gathering together in the hangar where the Blackbird was. I don't even know how they fit a quinjet in there, and I didn't want to ask. They were all getting ready for the battle. The time was now.

Peter had handed me my new uniform and a few weapons. I had asked Storm to find someone to make it for me, and it had finally arrived. The dark blue fabric was insulated and comfy, but also had a tough exterior. The X-Men's symbol adorned one sleeve, while the Avenger's symbol was on the other. The outfit itself was lightweight, and allowed me to use my powers through my gloves. Once I came out of the bathroom, I met Peter in the hall talking to Jake. "Ready," I declared.

Jake quickly followed us as we turned to walk down the hall. His eyebrows scrunched up together in confusion. "Where are you guys going?"

I glanced at Peter quickly. He looked back, but didn't say anything. I looked straight ahead. Pursed my lips. It wasn't fitting to tell this boy the truth. He would find a way to come. I answered simply, "Just on a mission. Nothing special."

"I want to go," a hint of desperation showed in his voice. Fighting alongside heroes against villains and Spider-Man was going to be there? How could Jake just sit this one out?

Peter turned around before putting his mask on and locked eyes with the kid. He sent him a small smile before stating in a calm voice, "You have to stay here and help watch the other kids. We don't want anything happening to you guys."

Frustration reflected in Jake's newfound tone, "But I can fight! You guys taught me." He grabbed his necklace and used his powers to turn his whole body metal. Elemental Mimicry is what Professor Xavier called it. I had never seen it in action before when touch was involved, but there was a first time for everything.

With him being metal, I was able to use my powers against him. I stretched my fingers out and held him in place. Magneto's powers have come more in handy than I thought. Impatience had taken me prisoner. As much as I wanted to calm him down and talk him into staying nicely, we just didn't have that kind of time. Loki was going down. I'd make sure of it. "Jake, we got this."

"Be those kids' hero. It's what I want you to do," Peter pointed at Jake and sent him a thumbs up. Jake nodded reluctantly and watched us leave. My cousin put on his mask before turning around to continue our trek to the hangar.

A small smile crept over my lips. My cousin is a good guy. Aunt May raised him right. I walked alongside him and put my curly brown hair up into a ponytail. I didn't need hair flying around while I fought. I needed all the advantage I could get. I was lucky I put on my contacts earlier today. Peter glanced at me, and I nodded back in response. It's going to be okay. I thought to myself as I tugged on the ends of my gloves.

Peter set his hand on my shoulder before we entered the hangar. We stopped walking, and I turned to look at him. I couldn't tell what his facial expression was like, but I'm sure he wasn't smiling, judging from his somber tone. "Don't lose yourself on the battlefield, please. I've seen you in the training room. It...it wasn't a pretty sight."

I hugged my cousin and wrapped my arms around him tightly. I lay my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes, trying to soak in every feeling from this moment. This could be the last hug I ever give Peter. I didn't want to say it out loud, but it was a truth I had to face. "I won't. Stay safe out there. Please."