|| Chapter 2 ||

*Outfit is not attached anymore because Polyvore doesn't exist anymore*  so use your imagination and think of something else lol

"There is a crowd in here

That fooled themselves
They brought their friends and they made their hell
They fake their grin in a lonely cell
To the bitter end, but what do I know?"

It was the next morning when Newt had come to check up on me. During the night my stomach had finally settled and I didn't feel as ill anymore. Although, I was mighty hungry now, so Newt had this boy named Frypan make me a couple bowls of soup, and some bread.

I had noticed the shabby condition of my clothes. My shirt was ripped at one corner, and my pants seemed to be ripped and patched all over. My clothes were dark colors, darker than what my brother had on. My pants seemed as if they had been stained by coal, or bleached with an acid. The boots on the floor were brown and scuffed slightly, but better than everything else. My necklace sparkled as it caught the few rays of sunlight that shone through the roof of the hut.

"I've been here not even a day and I can tell I'm different than everyone else," I spoke softly. Newt glanced at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Everyone is different so why should it matter?" He asked me.

"First of all I got sick or nauseous, second of all I'm a girl, thirdly, I can feel it...There's something about me that doesn't fit in with everyone else."

"I'm sure you're just overreacting a bit...You'll be fine, you'll fit in with the rest of the Gladers here. Just eat your soup so we can get your day started." I took a couple more scoops of the soup and some bites of bread.

"Where does this food come from?"

"The box, like the one you came up in. It provides almost all of our supplies. As far as the food Frypan does what he wants with it all and he makes all these foods from it. I don't know how but he does."

After I had finished eating them Jeff said I could go if I was feeling better. I nodded and Newt led me out of the hut.

"Come on, I'll show you around. No sense in waitin' for Alby." He gently grabbed my wrist and lead me towards a large hut. He let go so he could gesture towards areas. "He's a bit of a poor excuse hasn't been much time since Nick. Alby was out in place as leader, he's not used to it. He's a bit rough with Greenies at the moment. Didn't pay attention as to how Nick handled them. He hurts more than helps but I don't think he realizes it. I'll be amazed if your brother makes it out of Alby's hold without Klunk in his pants," He laughed.

I looked at the ground suddenly taking a seat, tears coming to my eyes. Newt sat down next to me and wrapped an arm around me. "It's alright, in a few days or weeks you'll be happy, you'll fit in with the rest of us. You'll come to know this place, and soon enough there will be a new Greenie boy in your places. Every one of us was in the same spot, we knew just as much as you did which really is barely anything but it was all we had. We learned and we accustomed to the place."

"What did we do? Why did they send us here? Is this some sort of large prison?" Newt laughed a bit at my questions.

"I don't think of it as a prison. But it's one way to think of it I guess but there's nobody bossing us around and keeping us in shackles, well besides Alby. But nothin' of that sort. But we've all come out of that dark box. We all were scared out of our minds not knowing what was going to come next. Things are bad, they are...doesn't seem like it. Things can only get worse, there's no better in this place. We just make the best of it.